Has your beau been lately asking you whether you love roses or tulips? Or has he been asking you what is your favorite dress? Wondering why he is asking about your preferences? Girl, Valentine's Day is here and your beau is looking for the very romantic gift that would truly make you go weak in the knees. Guys and gals, Valentine's Day is so very romantic, a day when you can convey your love from the bottom of your heart. Saying 'I Love You' or a cute hug is surely the best way to convey your love to your beloved. But if it comes with a nice gift or a candle-lit dinner, the smile on your beloved's face would surely double. Just check out the Valentine's Day Gift Ideas section and you would come across a wide range of lovey-dovey suggestions that would make your day all the more romantic. So, what are you waiting for? Check out our wonderful ideas and add more sugar to your day of love.
||Feb 14 ||
||Feb 14 ||
||Feb 14 ||
||Feb 14 ||
||Feb 14 ||
What is Valentine's Day?
Valentine's Day is popularly known as the day of Love. On this day, people show their feelings of friendship, affection, care and most importantly love to each other. The festival of love is celebrated in many ways worldwide on February 14.
What do people do on Valentine's Day?
On the occasion of Valentine's Day which is celebrated on February 14 every year, people around the world show appreciation for people they love and adore. People who are in love with someone but haven't confessed it takes this day as an opportunity to reveal their emotions. Those who are already in love and relationship, they go on dates, give greeting cards, jewelry or gifts on this day. Also, flowers are exchanged by the people to friends and lovers. Red roses are particularly given to partners and lovers.
The festival is solely dedicated to romance and love. People appreciate each other on this day and acknowledge their presence in each other's life. The customs and traditions followed on Valentine's Day vary from place to place as this is a worldwide event. Friends are also given prime importance on this day.
Who was St Valentine?
- The day gets its name from a famous saint St Valentine, but there are several stories about it
- St Valentine was a priest from Rome in the third century AD.
- Emperor Claudius II was of the view that married men were bad soldiers. so he banned marriages
- St.Valentine felt this was unfair, so he broke the rules and he used to secretly arrange marriages of lovers
- When Claudius found out. He ordered that he be put to death and sentenced to death.
- There, he fell in love with the jailer's daughter and when he was taken to be killed on 14 February he sent her a love letter signed "from your Valentine", an expression that is still in use today.
History/How did it start?
The history of Valentine's Day is quite complicated. The origins of this day are not clear but as far it is known, we get to know the story behind this day is a bit tragic. The story begins in the year 270 CE when a Roman priest named Valentine was martyred on February 14 for the sake of love. It is said that he was martyred because he married off those couples who were in love during the time of war. Well, the proofs behind this prevalent story are still unknown but this is the most popular myth to be believed. Later, the priest was canonized into a saint and eventually, the day started being celebrated as the day of love. Eventually, the custom of sending gifts, cards and messages began in the 17th century. People who admired someone sent notes and gifts while being anonymous on this day. This tradition became popular and every year this became the accepted way of celebrating Valentine's Day. Later, with increasing interest in this festival, new versions of celebrations kept coming up. In today's time, it has transformed into a day of expressing love, gifting chocolates and exchanging roses.
29 Interesting Things You Didn't Know About Valentine's Day
- In 2011, Iran banned Valentine cards, gifts, teddy bears, and other Valentine tokens as part of an Islamic republic backlash against the spread of Western culture.
- According to popular medieval folk belief birds choose their mates on February 14.
- People in Mexico City broke the record for the world's largest group kiss on Valentine’s Day 2010, 39,897
- A kiss on Valentine's Day is considered to bring good luck all year.
- Red is often associated with love because it represents strong romantic feelings. Red roses are considered to be the flowers of love as they were the favorite of Venus, the Goddess of Love.
- Every year more than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolates are sold on Valentine's Day.
- More than 15 % women in the United States send flowers to themselves on Valentine's Day in order to boast in front of their lovers and friends.
- The maximum number of wedding proposals on Valentine's Day each year is somewhere around 220,000 as per daily reports.
- Nearly 85% gifts of the total gifts purchased on Valentine's Day are purchased by women.
- Cupid's bow and arrow aren't just showpieces rather they are actually meant for piercing the hearts in order to cast a spell of love on humans.
- England's King Henry VII officially declared Feb. 14, as a St. Valentine's Day,in 1537
- In Victorian times, it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine's Day card.
- According to a statistics, more than nine million pet owners are expected to buy gifts for their pets this Valentine's Day, as for most of us, pets aren't just pets, they are family.
- Men spend almost twice as much on Valentine's Day as women do. Retail Me Not reports that the average guy spends about $287 on a Valentine's Day gift. Women spend an average of $164.
- In Japan, women are expected to give chocolate and other gifts to men on Valentine's Day. They return the favour on March 14th, known as White Day.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their future valentine would be .They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. In fact, that's where the expression 'wearing your heart on your sleeve' comes from.
- Chocolate and Valentine's Day go together . Richard Cadbury from the Cadbury chocolates family started for the trend of gifting the box of Valentine's Day chocolates. In 1868, he gave chocolates to his beloved in a heart-shaped box. More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine's Day.
- In South Korea, the 14th of every month marks a romantic holiday of some sort. List of events celebrated every month in this order: Candle Day, Valentine's Day, White Day, Black Day, Rose Day, Kiss Day, Silver Day, Green Day Music Day, Wine Day, Movie Day, and Hug Day.
- Valentine's day is also Singles Awareness Day(SAD).So don't despair, if you're single.
- The most disliked gift, for men, is flowers. For women, a gym membership or exercise equipment.
- But Husbands and boyfriends like to give bouquets. 73 percent of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27 percent are women.
- In the 1920′s, it was a card shaped like a… tomato. Tomatoes were also known as 'love apples.'
- According to the Greeting Card Association, 190 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine's Day the second most popular greeting card–giving occasion, after Christmas.
- The Catholic Church struck St. Valentine's Day from its official calendar in 1969.
- 15 percent of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.
- Red roses are considered the flower of love because the color red stands for strong romantic feelings. Millions of rose stems are sold in the U.S. on Valentine's Day.
- Teachers will receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- On St. Valentine's Day, girls of medieval times ate bizarre foods to make them dream of their future spouse.
- Every Valentine's Day, the Italian city of Verona, home town of Romeo and Juliet ,receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet.
February 14 Birthdays of Famous People
1766 Thomas Malthus (economist)
1819 Christopher Latham Sholes (inventor of the first practical typewriter, created QWERTY keyboard layout, newspaper publisher, politician) (d. 1890)
1894 Jack Benny (comedian) (d. 1974)
1904 Hertha Kuusinen, Finnish communist (d. 1974)
1907 Johnny Longden, Canadian Racing Hall of Fame jockey/trainer (1943 Crown on Count Fleet), born in Wakefield, Yorkshire, England (d. 2003)(d. 2003)
1907 Florence Rice, American actress (Fast Company, Double Wedding, Riding on Air), born in Cleveland, Ohio (d. 1974)(d. 1974)
1909 A Moses Klein, poet (Hath Not a Jew...), born in Montreal, Quebec(d. 1972)
1911 Willem J Kolff, Dutch/US internist/inventor (Artificial Kidney)(d. 2009)
1913 Jimmy Hoffa (labor leader) (d. 1975)
1927 Lois Maxwell (actress) (d. 2007)
1929 Victor Morrow (actor) (d. 1982)
1942 Michael Bloomberg (businessman, mayor of New York City)
1944 Carl Bernstein (journalist)
1946 Tim Buckley(American singer-songwriter and guitarist) (d. 1975)
1968 Jules Asner(American television personality, writer, and former fashion model)
1951 Kevin Keegan (soccer player and manager)
1952 Christopher Monckton (public speaker, hereditary peer)
1970 Simon Pegg (actor, comedian, writer, film producer, film director
1972 Rob Thomas(American singer and songwriter)
1973 Steve McNair(American football quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) (d. 2009)
1992 Freddie Highmore Famous Actor
Valentine's Day Symbols
Love is one of the purest feeling in the world and Valentine's Day is an occasion for which lovers wait for days,to express their love. There are various popular Valentine symbols which are used by couples over the ages to express their feelings to each other.
- Valentine's Day Roses
- Valentine's Day Hearts
- Doves and Love Birds
- Love Knots
- Ribbons, Laces and Frills
Valentine's Day Quotes
- Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
- Love is the greatest refreshment in life.
- Where there is love, there is life.
- There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.
- A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love.
~ Max Muller
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
~ Emily Bronte
- Life is a flower of which love is the honey.
~ Victor Hugo
- "Love grows more tremendously full, swift, poignant, as the years multiply."
- "Love never gives up."
1 Corinthians 13:7
- Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.
- Where there is great love, there are always wishes.
- "One words frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love."
- "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
- "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- "There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
- Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.
- Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
- Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine.
Christina Rossetti, poet
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.
- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love .
- When love is not madness, it is not love.
- Pedro Calderon de la Barca
- Love is blind. That is why he always proceeds by touch.
- I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times, in life after life, in age after age forever.
- My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite.
- If we judge of love by its usual effects, it resembles hatred more than friendship.
Romantic & Cute Love Notes
- Someone who really loves you, will love all of you.
- You are the only guy that I could ever have eyes for.
- You are like the guy of my dreams but much better, because this is real life.
- When I look at you, I can see the rest of my life in your eyes.
- I love you more than words can ever say.
- In your arms, I feel safe and loved.
- You are the love of my life and the hero of my heart.
- Together is my favorite place to be.
- I thank Him for lending me you.
- Words fall short whenever I want to tell you, that my world is full of smiles because of you.
- Everybody has an addiction, mine just happens to be you.
- I fell in love with you because of the million things you never knew you were doing.
- I don't want anyone else kiss your lips, or be in your arms because that's only my place.
- Be with someone who ruins your lipstick not your mascara.
- I want every morning to start being wrapped in your arms.
Famous Romantic Valentine's Day Poems
All love, at first, like generous wine,
Ferments and frets until 'tis fine,
But, when 'tis settled on the lee,
And from th' impurer matter free,
Becomes the richer still the older,
And Proves the pleasanter the colder
By Samuel Butler
Better To Have Loved
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
‘Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
By Alfred Lord Tennyson
The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean;
The winds of heaven mix forever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In another's being mingle
Why not I with thine?
See, the mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower could be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea;
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me.
By Percy Bysshe Shelley
Valentine's Day Songs
"Adore You"Harry Styles
"I Think of You," Rodriguez
"So Into You," Atlanta Rhythm Section
"Crazy Love," Van Morrison
"I'll Be There," Jackson 5
"Baby, I Need Your Loving," Four Tops
"Crush On You" Lil' Kim ft. The Notorious B.I.G. and Lil' Cease
"I Say a Little Prayer" Aretha Franklin
"Ease My Mind," Ben Platt
"My Favorite Part," Mac Miller ft. Ariana Grande
"Still Into You," Paramore
" Endless Love," Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
"Be Without You," Mary J. Blige
" And I Love Her," The Beatles
" Let Me Love You," Mario
"The Time For Love Is Any Time," Cactus Flower
" Somewhere Over the Rainbow," 50 First Dates
"I Walk the Line," Walk the Line
"Don't Worry, Baby," The Beach Boys
"Somebody Loves You," Betty Who
"We Belong," Pat Benatar
"Your Body Is a Wonderland," John Mayer
"The Way You Look Tonight," Frank Sinatra
"Love Is Blue," Paul Mauriat
"Let's Get It On," Marvin Gaye
"When a Man Loves a Woman," Percy Sledge
"I Just Called to Say I Love You," Stevie Wonder
"Up Where We Belong," Joe Cocker
"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You," Bryan Adams
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," Roberta Flack
"Closer," Tegan and Sara
"I Knew I Loved You," Savage Garden
"Stay," Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko
"Beautiful" Snoop Dogg and Pharrell
"Selfish" Slum Village ft. Kanye West and John Legend
"Gonna Love Me" Teyana Taylor