Try the following delicious dishes of Tamil New Year.
Way to cook:
- 1 cup - kadle bele/ chana daal
- 1 to 1.5 cup - jaggery
- 2 cups - grated coconut or thick coconut milk
- 3/4 to 1 tsp - rava or raw rice
- 1 tsp - ghee
- 1 tsp - elaichi powder
- 1 to 2 tsp - raisins
- 1 to 2 tsp – cashews
- The chana daal should be pressure cooked in water.
- Now, one has to roast the rava in a dry manner till the raw smell from it disappears and mix it with the chana daal that has already been cooked.
- But in case you are using raw rice instead of the rava, after roasting it dry, grind it to make a smooth powder and mix with the daal. The Payasam will then get a thick appearance.
- To this, add thick coconut milk to the mixture and let it boil.
- But in case you are using grated coconut, grind it and then make a smooth paste with water and then boil it along with the mixture.
- If you need extra water, add it and keep on stirring regularly.
- Now, add jaggery and elaichi powder.
- After all that is done, roast the raisins and cashews in 1 tsp ghee and add them to the payasam.
- All these ingredients should be mixed well and again boiled for some more time.
- Add sweetness according to your taste.
- You can either serve it hot or cold, as you might like it.
1 cup - all purpose flour/maida (strained)
1 cup - bengal gram daal
1 cup - jaggery
1/2 cup - grated coconut
1/2 tsp - cardamom powder
A pinch of turmeric
Approx 1 to 2 tbsp - broken cashews
Way to cook:
Flour, turmeric and 1 tbsp of vegetable oil should be mixed well after adding water to it and soft pliable dough should be made.
Cover it with a cloth and set it aside.
In the mean time, boil the bengal gram in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and let it turn soft.
Now, drain the lentil and put it back in the saucepan mixing jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder with it.
Allow the jaggery to melt and also see to it that all the other components make a harmonious mixture.
Allow it to cool and then grind the mixture in a food processor. But do not add any extra water.
Toast the cashews in ghee and add it to the mixture.
Make a small ball from the dough and make a circle from it.
in a similar manner, also make a small ball from the lentil mixture and put it in middle of the dough.
On top of the lentil mixture, bring the end of the dough to the center. Pinch them all together and press it on a flatbread.
Now, you have to roll it on the flatbread, even if it does not make a perfect circle. Make it thick or thin as you might desire.
Place it on a grill and sprinkle some ghee around it to cook until it is golden brown.
Place the other side and also cook in a similar manner, till golden brown/reddish.
1 cup - chana dal, which is soaked in water for approx 3 to 4 hours
1/2 – finely chopped big onion
2 – medium spiced green chilies
1/2 tsp - red chili powder
A pinch of hing
3 to 4 – finely chopped curry leaves
1/2 tbsp - grated coconut, fresh or frozen (as you like)
1 tbsp - rice flour
Oil to deep fry
Way to cook:
Beat the green chilies inside a blender and ground them coarsely.
Entire water should be drained out of the soaked dal and beat it for quite a few times.
Make sure that the dal is only coarsely ground and look into it that it doesn’t become a paste.
All the ingredients should be mixed well, barring the oil.
Heat the oil in a pan which has a heavy bottom.
Make small dumplings from the mixture of the dal and use your palms to flatten them.
Now, the vadas that you have made drop them in hot oil and deep fry it.
The heat should be somewhere between low to medium.
If you do not keep this in mind, and the heat is high, the vadas would only get burnt or semi-cooked.
Once it has been deep fried, the oil should be removed and drained into paper towels.
Coconut chutney or ketchup – try any one of these to serve them hot.
A bunch of coriander leaves
1 tsp tender and cleaned chick peas
6 green chillies (optional)
Pinch of turmeric powder
2 tbsp oil
Juice of two limes
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp salt
Way to cook:
- Go for basmati rice as it is the long grained variety.
- Wash the rice and soak it in water.
- Cook the rice in a manner that the grains of rice are not broken.
- Heat oil in a deep drying pan or until smoke comes up.
- .To the oil, add mustard seed, split tender peas and the chillies.
- Fry it until the peas become golden.
- To this, add lime juice, turmeric and salt to taste.
- Let the mixture boil and immediately pour it over cooled cooked rice.
- Toss the rice in a manner that it gets completed mixed with the lime mixture.
- Use chopped coriander leaves or fried cashew nuts to garnish and serve.