There are many people who really love to have south Indian food, as it is very delicious. For those who really want to have some mouth watering south Indian dishes can make use of the pongal festival. You can visit any of your south Indian friends and neighbors house during the four days of pongal celebrations and have tempting pongal dishes. For those who have no option but have some free time during the pongal days, can make use of the pongal recipes given below.
- 1 cup of Rice
- 1/4 cup of Moong dal
- /2- 1 tsp of jeera
- 1/2-1 tsp of peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp of powdered pepper
- Few broken Cashewnuts
- 1/2 cup of dry Coconut
- Small amount Turmeric
- Ghee according to your taste
- Start frying the Moong dal till you get a light flavor.
- Add rice and 2 to3 cups of water to the dal and make sure that the rice should cook slowly.
- Now Add turmeric powder, coconut, peppercorns and some amount of ghee to the rice and cook it.
- Now take a pan and put some ghee according to your taste and add jeera, peppercorns and cashew nuts to it.
- Mix the rice mixture that you have cooked and add pepper powder, salt and blend it with the ghee, jeera and cashew nuts.
- Your pongal dish is ready and you can serve it hot with Coconut Chutney, or Onion-Tomato curd.
- 1 Cup of Rice
- 1/4 Cup of Moong Dal
- Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp of jeera Powder
- 1 Tsp of Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp of Dry Dinger
- 1 Tsp of Heeng
- Some Cashews
- 2 Tbsp of Ghee
- 6 Cups of Water
- Rinse dal and rice nicely.
- Put 1 tbsp of ghee in a cooker and heat it.
- Add rice and dal in the cooker and fry it, till the ghee covers the mixture.
- Add all the ingredients apart from the Cashews.
- Add some water and cook it.
- When rice is crushed properly then decorate it with some cashews.
- 1 cup of Rava
- 1/2 cup of Moong Dal
- Cashew Nuts
- 4 tbs of Ghee
- Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp of Chopped Ginger
- 1 tsp of Black peppercorn
- 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds
- Start frying rava without adding oil to it till it becomes really hot.
- Add black pepper and cumin seeds in ghee and fry them.
- Now Fry cashew nuts, curry leaves and chopped ginger.
- Mix moong dal with 1 cup of water and cook it.
- Now move the cooked dal in a heavy pan and add some water to it.
- Add salt according to your taste and let this boil.
- Start adding the fried rava to the cooked moong dal and stir it continuously till rava is completely cooked.
- Keep adding ghee till rava is cooking.
- Now add the powdered pepper, jeera, fried cashew nuts, curry leaves and chopped ginger.
- You can add some green chilly to make your rava Pongal spicy.
- Your rava pongal is ready and you can serve it with coconut chutney.
- 1/2 cup rice,
- 3-4 tsp ghee,
- salt to taste,
- 4 cups water.
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal,
- 1/2 cup quick oats,
- 8-9 cashews,
- 1 tsp peppercorn,
- 1 tsp cumin seeds,
- 1 pinch carom seeds,
- 1/2 inch ginger
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the cashew and fry them.
- Add cumin, carom seeds, peppercorn and ginger. Wash and add the rice and moong dal. Fry for 2-3 minutes..
- Add the hot water, fried cashews and salt. Close lid and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Allow steam to escape before opening.
- Put on the stove again. Add another 1/2 to 1 cup of hot water and the quick cooking oats. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining ghee and stir in.
- Garnish with cashews and serve hot.
Spicy Moong Daal And Peas Pongal
- Moong Dal :1 Cup
- Coconut : 3 to 4 tsp
- Curry leaves : 6 to 8
- Ghee : 2 tsps
- Oil :1 tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Asafetida : a pinch
- Coriander leaves
- Raw Rice : 1 Cup
- Pepper Pods : 10
- Jeera : 1 Tea spoon
- Green chilly :1
- Ginger : 1 Tea spoon (grated)
- Wash and dry roast Moong dal.
- Crush the pepper and grate ginger and coconut.
- Cut green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Now cook roasted Moong dal and rice together in a pressure cooker. Leave it for cooling.
- Cook Peas separately with very little water and keep it aside.
- Keep a pan on the fire. Put oil and heat.
- Add jeera and crushed pepper pods. Let it fry for 4 seconds.
- Add green chilly, Curry leaves. Mix well and add cooked peas.
- Add cooked rice and moong dal. Add ginger. Mix it well.
- Let the fire be on the lower flame.
- Add salt and stir slowly and leave it for 1 minute.
- Add Coconut, cut coriander leaves and shift the Pongal to a serving dish.
- Add ghee and mix it well.
- 1 litre of Milk.
- 1/2 tsp powdered Cardomom.
- 1/4 cup of raw Rice.
- 1 cup Sugar.
- Heat one litre of milk and when it boils and starts to rise add raw rice.
- Keep in low heat with constant stirring until the quantity reduces to one-half.
- Then add sugar and powdered cardomom.
- Roast cashewnuts and raisins in ghee and add it to the payasam.
- 1 Medium Size Pineapple
- 1tsp Pepper
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Toovar Dal(Sambhar Parippu)
- 1tsp Gram Dal
- 1tsp Black Dal
- A Sprig Of Curry Leaves
- A Small Bunch Of Coriander Leaves
- Salt To Taste.
- Cook the toovar dal in enough water.
- Peel pineapple and squeeze out 6 cups of juice adding water if necessary.
- Fry the gram dal,black dal,pepper red chilli,asafoetida in a tsp of oil and grind to a paste.
- Mix the paste in a cup of water and add to it turmeric powder & salt.
- pour the mixture in the pineapple juice and pour this juice into the cooked dal.
- Add chopped curry leaves & coriander leaves.cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Fry mustard in a tsp of oil till they splutter and pour it into the rasam.
- 1/2 tsp Gram Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 Red Chilies (chopped)
- 2 Green Chilies (chopped)
- A few Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- A small pinch Hing
- 2 cups Aval (flattened rice)
- 1/2 cup Coconut (grated)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Soak aval along with salt in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Now heat coconut oil in a pan on low flame.
- Add hing, curry leaves, mustard seeds, urad dal, Bengal gram dal, red chilies, green chilies and grated coconut to the oil.
- Fry until coconut turns slightly brown in color.
- Now add soaked aval to the above, and stir it well for 5 minutes.
- Fry cashews in a little ghee, and add it to the above.
- Serve hot with any chutney
So try to follow the above Pongal recipes and cook some delicious pongal dishes.