What is Labor Day?
The first Monday of September in United States Of America is celebrated as Labour Day to celebrate the social and economic achievement of workers. Labour Day is also celebrated as a symbolic end of summer. Its a national tribute to contributations of all the workers.
Labor Day Dates
Labor Day Celebrations
There are a number of events organized to celebrate the Labor Day. Usually, a street parade involving thousands of workers and their families is taken out. This is followed by festivals and recreational activities for the enjoyment of those involved in the parade.
Labor Day Events in U.S.
Some of the famous events held on the Labor Day in U.S. are:
West Indian American Day Parade & Carnival
- This colorful parade is one of the city's largest events involving the public.
- This parade had originally started in Harlem and currently runs through Brooklyn's Eastern Parkway area.
- It is preceded by events like the children's carnival and steel drumming. Colorful costumes, calypso performances and Caribbean food are the highlights of this parade.
Chicago Jazz Festival
- The Chicago Jazz Festival started in 1974 as an honor to the late big band leader Duke Ellington.
- It is one of the most popular Labor Day weekend events held throughout the nation.
- This festival is organized at the Petrillo Music Shell in Grant Park. There are live performances by musicians who come from all around the nation to attend this event.
Los Angeles County Fair
- This traditional event starts during the Labor Day weekend and continues throughout the month into October.
- There are carnival rides, horse races and games organized to make the County Fair an exciting one. You'll also get to see historical and nature exhibits.
- Besides, you can try out fried foods and good quality beer while you attend this event.
Labor Day Events in Canada
Popular events held during the Labor Day celebrations in Canada are mentioned below.
Victoria Fringe Festival:
- If you stay in Victoria, British Columbia in Canada, you'll get to enjoy the Victoria Fringe Festival.
- This involves theatrical performances, dance and music. In addition, story-telling sessions and magic shows make your celebrations brighter.
Wharf Rat Rally in Digby, Nova Scotia
- This event is considered to be the most popular motorcycle rally in Atlantic Canada.
- There are stunts and competitions for you to participate and enjoy.
- There's also entertainment to add to your celebrations. Also, you'll find quality food to savor.
Labor Day Weekend Ideas
Labor Day weekend is the perfect time to chill out and enjoy the end of the summer season. It gives you a break from work so that you can spend quality time with your family and friends. So, have a blast on this Labor Day holiday and make your three day weekend the best it can be.
Watch out for Labor Day events:
Below, you will find interesting ideas on how to celebrate Labor Day and have a great weekend with your loved ones.
- Labor Day offers a wide range of events held in different states across the U.S. Parades are a common feature of Labor Day celebrations.
- Major cities like New York and Washington D.C. organize such parades to commemorate Labor Day and emphasize on its significance.
- You can watch the parade organized by the New York City Central Labor Council that starts from 44th Street and ends on 72nd Street along Fifth Avenue.
- There are free music concerts held on Labor Day. The National Symphony Orchestra will hold a concert along the East Capitol and First Streets in Washington D.C.
- In addition to concerts, you can train and run a marathon. Several towns and cities organize such marathons on Labor Day.
- Just be a part of one such event and have an enjoyable experience with thousands of others. Know about other Labor Day events that you can explore and enjoy post-race.
Go for a picnic
- A picnic with your dear ones and friends is one of the most popular Labor Day weekend ideas.
- Just pack sandwiches, barbecue food items, desserts, and refreshing wine or other drinks so that you have a relaxing and tasy celebration during Labor Day weekend.
- Bring some board games and outdoor games to take full advantage of the outdoor picnic.
Plan a camping trip
- Celebrate Labor Day by going on a camping trip with your loved ones.
- Select a location near a lake or in the forest and pack some drinks and food items so that you can have a good time bonding with your friends and family members.
Plan a movie weekend
- You can spend Labor Day by watching latest movie releases with your family members, friends, and those who're close to you.
- You may plan a backyard movie night. Set up a screen and projector in your backyard and invite your dear ones to have an enjoyable experience.
- You may plan a trip to some of the famous tourist locations close to your home. Local theme parks are fun for the whole family, and there is one located near you, chances are you don't frequent it very often.
- If you're visiting parks like Disneyworld, go for a FastPass that will help you avoid the holiday crowds.
- Instead of visiting a theme park, you can arrange for a beach day during your Labor Day weekend trip and stay at one of the waterfront hotels. This will give you a lot of time to relax on the beach under the sun and take advantage of one of the last beach weekends before spring arrives.
Labor Day Weekend Vacation Ideas
If you're interested to go on a vacation during Labor Day weekend, well then you can choose locations with recreational activities like white-water rafting, jet-skiing, kayaking, and swimming. Below, you will find a list of some attractive tourist spots which you may visit during Labor Day weekend.
Hawaii: With some of the best beaches in the world, Hawaii is the destination you'd want to visit during Labor Day weekend. Whether you'd like to visit mountains, waterfalls, spectacular sceneries, or mountains, you'll find them all in Hawaii. Moreover, you'll have a great experience while scuba diving and hiking. You'll also get the chance to swim with dolphins. If you can afford the ticket and high vacation cost, Hawaii is the place for you.
Niagara Falls and its nearby village: You can explore a village close to the Niagara Falls and feel the magic of the natural surroundings and the ambience created by the Victorian homes. The Shaw Festival held close to the Niagara Falls is a popular summer attraction that will give you an enjoyable experience while you watch the plays of George Bernard Shaw and other playwrights.
New England: Going on a cruise trip is one of the best Labor Day weekend ideas. You may go on a cruise and explore some of the best tourist spots in New England, the Caribbean, Mexico, or Alaska. While you cruise along the sea, you'll discover the charm of your locale with its beaches, historic old towns, and islands. You'll have a good experience with the fresh seafood and enjoy the facilities at the hotels when you stop in between destinations.
St. Augustine in Florida: One of the most unique Labor Day weekend ideas is to explore St. Augustine, the oldest city in America. This city will offer you a wonderful experience with its Spanish charms. If you'd like to visit the beaches and watch dolphins or collect seashells, this old city provides you with everything you'd love to enjoy during Labor Day weekend.
Labor Day Weekend Party Ideas
Below, you will find ideas on Labor Day weekend parties that are fun and enjoyable.
White themed party:
- A white-themed party captures the end of the summer marked by Labor Day. You can arrange the party at your home or a venue that's suitable for the celebration.
- As for the decorations, you can use pretty white flowers that, such as white roses, hydrangea, calla lilies, orchids, and chrysanthemums.
- You can keep the flowers in crystal vases and use them as table centerpieces. In addition, you can use a bunch of white flowers to decorate the walls of the party venue.
- White candles and lanterns serve as beautiful decorative pieces for your Labor Day party decorations. If you have your party in the early evening, use soft candlelight around party space for a romantic, softening effect.
- Keep tall pillar candles in crystal vases arranged in a line on the tables. These will create the perfect centerpiece for your party table. Tea light candles can be used to line stairways and tables with soft light.
- If it's a beach party, you can use paper lanterns in various colors and hang them above the party tables. If it's not a beach party but the venue is an outdoor space, hang pint-sized lanterns by hooks from the nearby trees to create a beautifully visual ambiance for your party.
- In addition to the above decorations, you can have white pillows and curtains for your party decor.
- Avoid very colorful food so that it doesn't distract from the white theme.. Your menu may have the Mediterranean flavor with a buffet including a variety of breads and crackers, ham, and turkey.In addition to the items mentioned above, you may have grilled chicken breast kabobs, marinated olives, and white pizzas.
- As for the drinks, you can arrange for white wine and vodka spritzers adorned with pieces of light-colored fruits like lemon and pineapple. For the dessert, you can arrange for cheesecakes with fresh berries and cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting.
Red, white, and blue themed party:
- One of the most exciting Labor Day weekend ideas is to incorporate the patriotic red, white, and blue theme in your party. Ask your guests to come dressed in red, white, and blue.
- Incorporate the flag with its red, white, and blue colors for your decorations, including tablecloths and centerpieces. You may involve your kids in your party decorations by using Labor Day-themed crafts.
- Ask your kids to add red, white, and blue sand (taken from a local crafts store) in separate jars, up to one-third portion of each jar.
- Wrap the topmost part of the jar with a gage wire to create a loop and fix it to a fence or a tree branch. You can include red, white, and blue.
Votives into the sand jar to set the right ambience and mood for your party.
- As for the food, you may include the following items:
- Red, white, and blue pancakes.
- Red, white, and blue jello
- Dessert like yogurt parfaits in red, white, and blue colors
- Red, white, and blue roast potatoes
- Grilled chicken with red and blueberry salsa
- Drinks made of vodka, grenadine, and blue Curacao
These are some Labor Day weekend ideas which will help you have a memorable and enjoyable experience with your loved ones.