Thai Food Recipes
||Thai food is renowned for balancing five fundamental flavors in each dish- spicy, sour, sweet, salty and bitter, the latter being optional. Thai food is also considered very nutritious. Thai food restaurants have sprung up all over the western world and Thai food menus are a must have at any event. For the calorie conscious, Thai food is just perfect. Here’s a meal you can easily recreate in your own kitchen.
|Hot and sour shrimp soup (Tom Yung Soup)-: Serves 4
A delicious soup made in traditional Thai style. Pay close attention to details.
- 3 cups (750 ml or 24 fl. Oz) chicken stock
- 8 oz (250 grams) shrimps/prawns, shelled and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 slices fresh galangal
- ¼ cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 stalks lemon grass, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 5 hot green Thai chili peppers
- ½ cup sliced straw mushrooms
- ¼ cup (60 ml or 2 fl. Oz) lime juice
- 1tsp roasted chili paste (nam phrik pao)
- 1tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- Bring the stock to a boil over medium heat
- Add the garlic, lime leaves, galangal, fish sauce, lemon grass, mushrooms and chili peppers.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp.
- Cook till shrimp appear pink and opaque and firm. (should not take longer than 1 minute)
- When the shrimp is cooked, place the lime juice and chili paste in a serving bowl.
- Pour soup into the serving bowl and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Thai fried noodles (Phat Thai)-: Serves 4
Main course, a delightful dish of noodles cooked in authentic Thai style.
- 3 cups narrow rice noodles
- ½ cup thinly sliced chicken
- 4 shrimps
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup soya bean curd
- 1 tbsp chopped, pickled white radish
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1tsp chopped garlic and 1tsp chopped onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4tbsps sugar and 4tbsps fish sauce
- 4tbsps vinegar
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime (garnishing)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced carrot (garnishing)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced cabbage (garnishing)
- 2tbsps ground roasted peanuts.
- Fry the chopped garlic and onion until they turn a pinkish yellow
- Add chicken and fry till cooked
- Add the shrimp, pickled white radish, soya bean curd.
- Break the eggs into the pan and scramble.
- Add sugar, fish sauce, paprika and vinegar and stir well
- Pour in the noodles. Stir fry until well mixed
- Add bean sprouts and stir fry till cooked
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with carrots, cabbage and peanuts
Custard pumpkin (sangkhaya fakthong)-: Serves 4
A popular dessert commonly found in the local food markets
- Small pumpkin
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Cut a slice of the top of the pumpkin, remove seeds and pulp
- Whish eggs, add sugar, a pinch of salt and coconut cream. Stir till well blended
- Pour into the pumpkin and cook in steam till custard is set (20 minutes)