Italian Food Recipes
||Italian food is the perfect example of Mediterranean diet and is imitated all over the world. Italian food restaurants have sprung up all over the western world and no other cuisine has received as much popularity as the Italian cuisine. Here are some easy and authentic Italian food recipes.
|Pancetta and Walnut Salad-: Serves 2 (appetizer)
A hearty Italian salad. A perfect start to a traditional Italian meal.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 4tsps plus 2tbsps extra virgin Olive oil
- 4 shaved slices of Pancetta (Italian ham), roughly chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2tsps balsamic vinegar
- ½ clove garlic, minced (crushed)
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 handfuls frilly lettuce (such as oak leaf)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Toast the bread and brush each on one side only with 1 tsp of Olive oil.
- Remove the crust, cut into croutons and set aside.
- Heat 2tsps of Olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the pancetta and walnuts for 2 minutes, stirring regularly
- In a small bowl mix 2tbsps of virgin oil with garlic, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Place the lettuce, pancetta, and walnuts in a serving bowl, pour the dressing on top and gently toss to mix.
- Mix through the croutons and scatter the grated cheese on top to serve.
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo-: Serves 2 (main course)
This sauce has acquired immense popularity in the United States. It is very simple and totally dependant on the freshness of the butter used, so ensure that you use fresh butter. Top it up with a Pinet bianco (wine)
- 1 pound fettuccini
- ¼ pound unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup of the best parmesan cheese you can get, Parmigiano Reggiano if possible, grate it yourself.
- 2 pre cooked chicken breasts, chopped (optional)
- Place the butter in a shallow serving dish over the pot the fettuccini water is heating in.
- When it is melted add the warm cream, mix gently and stir in about 2/3 of the cheese.
- Mix with pre-cooked chicken
- Remove the serving dish from the pot, cook the fettuccini, drain, and pour immediately into the serving dish. Toss well.
- Top with the remaining cheese, and serve immediately.
Biscotti are a quick and easy dessert to prepare which look elegant and taste extremely delicious.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon anise extract, or 3 drops anise oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar and anise flavoring until well blended.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the egg mixture to form a heavy dough. Divide dough into two pieces. Form each piece into a roll as long as your cookie sheet.
- Place roll onto the prepared cookie sheet, and press down to ½ inch thickness.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack.
- When the cookies are cool enough to handle, slice each one crosswise into ½ inch slices. Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Slices should be lightly toasted.