Indian Food Recipes
||As a result of India’s diverse population and culture, Indian food recipes is very diverse. Every region has its own special kind of cuisine. India was invaded many a times and each invader bought with him his own style of cooking which in turn was merged with the traditional provincial styles. Altered version of Indian food has taken the Western world by a storm particularly Britian, which is now called the ‘Curry Capital of the world’.
|Chicken Tikka-: Serves 2 (starter)
A popular Indian starter made with boneless ckicken on tandoor skewers. Here’s a slightly altered version to suit the western palette.
- 400 grams boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 100 grams plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
If baking in oven, use pre heated 375 F and bake for 20-25 minutes till done.
- Cut chicken into one-inch thick cubes.
- Mix lemon juice, ginger, garlic, yogurt, black pepper powder, cumin powder, salt, oil and paprika powder to make the marinade.
- Marinate chicken and leave for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Skew chicken on skewers and grill on each side until done (about 7 minutes).
- Turn and spread some butter on the pieces and cook for another 1 minute.
- Serve with thin, long sliced red onions and lemon wedges.
Indian Chicken Curry-: Serves 2 (main course)
Eat with steamed rice or Nan (Indian bread)
- 2 lbs chicken (full chicken cut into pieces)
- 4 medium red onions finely chopped
- 8 oz yogurt (plain)
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 4 oz oil
- 8 oz tomato puree
- Salt to taste
Shrikhand (Sweet Indian Style Custard)-: Serves 4 (dessert)
- Marinate chicken with the above ingredients and set it aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a wok, once heated pan-fry the marinated chicken in the wok for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook until oil starts separating from the tomato puree.
- Add water to a desired consistency. Add salt.
A traditional Indian dessert from the state of Maharashtra.
- 1 pound full fat plain yoghurt
- 300 grams sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 20 strands saffron (mixed in 2 tbsp hot whole milk)
- 1 tbsp crushed pistachios
- Tie yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it overnight.
- Take a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Keep aside for 15 minutes
- Beat well until all the sugar is dissolved
- Chill for 3-4 hours. Serve cold