When is Easter 2020?
Easter 2020 is on Sunday, April 12, 2020
|Weekday||Date ||Year |
What is Easter?
Easter is one of the most significant Christian festivals and holidays. The day, which celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, is a joyous occasion. Since it does not fall on a particular day, Easter has been called a moveable fest. This year, Easter will be celebrated on April 12.
Easter is one of the oldest Christian festivals. The day celebrates the resurrection of Jesus, which took place on the third day of his crucifixion. The day of his crucifixion is called Good Friday. Easter Sunday is not only the culmination of the Holy Week but also marks the conclusion of the 40 days of Lent.
Easter Day Celebrations
- Easter day is one of the most important Christian festivals and is celebrated with lots of fun and gaiety. On this day churches are decorated with flowers, lovely roses and enchanting lilies. . Lily symbolizes new life while rose symbolizes undying love and they are inextricably linked with the Easter celebrations. People exchange Easter Lily which is a symbol of resurrection. It is believed lilies are the joyful symbol of elegance, beauty, spirituality, hope, and life. It adds elegance, grace, and fragrance to millions of homes and churches during the spring time. Sunrise services are also conducted. People celebrate the day with church services and music.
- Easter eggs are a major part of the celebration of Easter. An egg associated with Easter is a symbol of fertility. People exchange beautifully decorated eggs on Easter. They are made using hard-boiled eggs dipped in coloured dyes. These days eggs made up of plastic are also used for gifting. Some people fill chocolates in the eggs or make chocolate eggs for gifting. Easter eggs are also used for playing games. Egg hunt, egg rolling, egg tapping etc. are some of the popular games. An Easter basket which is full of Easter eggs is also a preferable gift.
- Easter Bunny is a symbol of fertility and new life and is a popular gift during the time of Easter. People give bunnies made of chocolates, plastic or soft toys as gifts to each other. Beautifully decorated Easter bunnies are trending in today's time
- Easter is celebrated worldwide with different traditions. Several churches hold Easter services celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ from his crucifixion. In some countries such as Spain and the Philippines, Easter processions are also held.
- In Italy, sacred dramas depicting the Easter story are organized in many towns and villages. Many tempting traditional foods are also relished such as pastries and capretto (lamb). In Poland, family meals are organized on Easter Day. These comprise mouth-watering items such as sausages, salads, ham and Polish cakes.
- In countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada, Easter Day celebrations are held on a grand scale. People decorate their homes and buy new clothes. Many events are also organized such as the Easter Egg hunts. It is a big day for children, who get baskets of snacks and candy as well as many other interesting gifts.
- Easter falls on Sunday, which is a holiday in Canada, the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and many others as such businesses and schools are closed.
Easter symbols including Easter eggs, bunnies, parades, Easter Lilies, the lamb, the cross, Palm branches, Hot Cross Buns, Candles, Pretzels, Easter & Spring, Butterfly flowers.
Easter Basket Ideas
Easter Basket Candies:
What is an Easter without tasty candies? Now-a-days candies come in different colors and flavors making them a really exciting gift. Kids simply adore these and so do the adults and hence, a traditional Easter basket full of candy is always welcomed by anyone who receives them as a present.
How is the date of Easter determined?
Unlike, Christmas, Easter is not celebrated on any particular date and hence it is called a moveable feast. The date of Easter is calculated according to the lunar calendar and is based on the date of the vernal equinox. The decision to celebrate Easter on Sunday was taken in 325. That year the Council of Nicaea decreed that the Easter Day should always be observed on the first Sunday which is after the first full moon which would take place on or after the vernal equinox. As such, Easter can fall on any Sunday between March 22 and April 25.
Easter, also known as the movable feast, is the most important holiday in the Christian calendar. This festival celebrates the resurrection of Christ from the dead, following the crucifixion. According to the New Testament, once a lady named Mary Magdalene visited the tomb where Jesus was buried and found it empty. An angel visited and told her that Jesus has risen. Since that time Easter is celebrated worldwide. The day of Easter usually falls on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or just after the vernal equinox which is based on the lunisolar calendar. It is not a fixed date on the Gregorian calendar. Easter is basically the culmination of the Passion of Jesus which is preceded by Lent and is a forty day period of fasting, prayer, and penance. Lent is the time when the Christian community fasts or give up a particular type of food to remember the time when Jesus fasted for forty days. It is usually observed in the month of February or March. This year Easter will be celebrated on April 12, 2020.
The Tradition of Easter cakes
The tradition of making cakes on Easter started with the ancient Anglo-Saxon community who used to bake small wheat cakes, known as hot Easter buns to offer to their deity. It is still very much an integral part of the popular culture in different parts of the world and is often traditionally referred to as Easter cakes. These cakes were made and offered to the Goddess of spring, Eostre to please her and seek her blessings for a good harvest.
When Christianity became the chief religion of Europe the church replaced the wheat cakes with sweet beards blessed by it and thus the tradition begun.
A traditional Easter cake has different names depending on the places it is being made. The traditional sweet breads of Czech and Poland served during the festival are known respectively as babobka and baba. The Greek and the Portugese serve a flat round bread marked with a cross for the occasion. Following the traditions they decorate it with Easter eggs. The Christians of Syria and Jordan serve honey pastries on Easter.
Hot Cross Buns
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered mixed spices - 2 tsp
- Unsalted butter at room temperature and cut into small pieces - 1.5 ounce
- Sugar - 3 ounce
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Fast-action yeast 1 - 2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Warm milk - 275 ml
- Dried fruit - 4 ounce
- Golden syrup for glazing
Sift the flour so that there is no lump in it. Then mix salt and grounded spices into it. Add butter and mix well. Then add sugar, yeast, and lemon zest to the mix and blend. In a separate bowl beat the egg with milk and gradually add the flour mixture to it.
Dust the work surface with flour and turn the dough out in it. Add dried fruit to it and knead well for 5 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth. In a greased pan put the dough and cover it with a wet towel. Set aside the dough to rest and rise for an hour. Repeat the process of kneading and again allow the dough to sit for another 30 minutes.
Take the dough out again on the dusted work surface and divide into twelve equal balls. Allow the buns to rest for another 5 to 10 minutes. Grease a baking tray and put the slightly flattened buns in it at equal distances. Preheat your oven at 240 C or 475 F.
Now in a separate bowl add flour, sugar and water to form a paste. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and decorate each bun with a cross.
Put the buns in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown in color. Brush golden syrup in the buns when they are hot. Set them aside to cool off in a wire rack before serving.
Easter Craft Ideas
Ribbon Easter Craft
- Materials Needed:
- Pink Construction Paper
- Crayons or Markers
First fold a piece of paper in half to form the body of the card. On the front of the card, draw a figure of a person. Use the ribbon for the arms and legs and cut out different sizes from the paper to make the body, head, hands, and feet. If your kid is having a problem in cutting the paper, help him/her out. Your kid can write whatever he/ she want to inside the card.
Easter Egg Ideas
Water color flower eggs
Get a bit creative. Use water colors to paint various designs on your eggs. These can be designs of lovely Spring flowers, animals, rural scenery, favorite cartoon characters or any other that you prefer. These are apt for decorating the house.
Cute Easter Instagram Captions For All Your Adorable Photos
- Some bunny needs chocolate.
- It's wabbit season.
- I've been a good egg this year.
- Who needs spring flowers when I have you?
- Great egg-spectations for this spring!
- Feeling a little bit egg-stra today.
- Can anybody find me somebunny to love?
- Happy Easter! Happy Spring! Happy happy everything!
- Don't worry, be hoppy.
- I'm having a good hare day.
- Way too egg-cited about Easter!
- Let your joy burst forth like flowers in the spring.
- (Cad)bury me in chocolate.
- I'm very good at hiding chocolate, too...in my mouth.
- Let happy thoughts multiply like rabbits.
- Here's to sunshine, springtime, and pretty eggs.
- Some bunny loves you.
Religious Easter Captions
The great gift of Easter is hope."
— Basil C. Hume
"He is Risen!"
I am the resurrection and the Life."
— John 11:25
"Easter is meant to be a symbol of hope, renewal, and new life."
— Janine di Giovanni
The earth is full of the goodness of the lord."
— Psalm 33:12
"Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life."
— S.D. Gordon
"For I remember it is Easter morn, and life and love and peace are all new born."
— Alice Freeman Palmer
"He knows the way because He is the way."
— Jeffrey R Holland
- The very first Easter taught us this: that life never ends and love never dies.
- For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
- (Psalm 16:10)
- God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power.
- (1 Corinthians 6:14)
- Give thanks to the Lord,
for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 107:1
- Thou art the Sun of other days.
They shine by giving back the rays.
John Keble, The Christian Year: Easter Days
- Do to others as you would have them do to you.
- We were old sinners - but when we came to Christ we are not sinners anymore.
- Joel Osteen Read
- Well pleaseth me the sweet time of Easter
That maketh the leaf and the flower come out
- Bertran de Born
- Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life.
- S.D. Gordon
- But from this earth, this grave, this dust,
My God shall raise me up, I trust.
- Walter Raleigh
- The reappearance of the light is the same as the survival of the soul.
- Blessed are those who have not seen and have yet believed.
- Feel grateful and rejoice in the Atonement of Christ
May you be showered with harmony, love, and peace this Easter.
- Gratitude to God
For His supreme sacrifice
Hope this Easter brings great feelings of recovery and joy.
- May the Supreme Lord fill your heart and home with happiness and gaiety.
May you get all blessings this Easter.
- Happy Easter
May Christ's message of eternal life fill you with love.
- Wishing you an Easter!
Blessed with happy moments with your dear ones.
- Wishing you a Beautiful Easter.
Best Easter Movies
- Come Sunday
- Christopher Robin
- The Case for Christ
- Monty Python's Life of Brian
- Joseph: King of Dreams
- Peter Rabbit
- VeggieTales in the City
- The Gospel of Luke
- The Story of God with Morgan Freeman
Find the best Easter pictures, photos and images. Share these Easter pics with your friends and post to Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram or Pinterest.
Easter Coloring Pages
Kids will love these printable Easter coloring pages. Free to print and fun to color!