India is more commonly described as a land of festivals. This land with unity in diversity has numerous popular festivals and occasions. One such very popular occasion of India is Dussehra. This significant occasion of the Hindus marks the victory of the good forces over the evil. It is celebrated with immense enthusiasm and zeal throughout the country. This festival is also marked with various names. For instance, one popular name of Dussehra is 'Vaijayadashmi', which means victory and the tenth day. This remarkable day is observed throughout the country, but the mode of celebrations and the rituals differ from one state to another.
The tenth day of the Navratri is celebrated as Dussehra. In 2019, it will be celebrated on Tuesday
, 8 October..
Vijayadashami Puja Time
Vijay Muhurat = 15:07 to 15:50
Duration =0 Hours 43 Mins
Aparahna Puja Time = 13:21 to 15:42
Duration = 2 Hours 21 Mins
Dashami Tithi Begins = 05:58 on 08/Oct/2019
Dashami Tithi Ends = 08:27 on 09/Oct/2019
History of Dussehra
- The significance of Dussehra is tremendous in India. There is a popular legend behind this festival that on this important day, Lord Shri Rama killed the demon king Ravana.
- This demon king had abducted Sita, wife of Lord Shri Rama. Lord Rama after killing Ravana rescued his abducted wife. In the war against Ravana, a huge army of monkeys and his most devoted follower Hanuman helped Lord Shri Rama. This war lasted for ten long days.
- Another significant day which marks the homecoming of Lord Shri Rama, his wife Sita and his brother Lakshman after 14 long years of exile is called Diwali.
- In India, Dussehra celebrations symbolize the cultural, social and religious aspirations and traditions. This festival is celebrated with immense joy and fanfare throughout the country.
- In northern parts of India, on the occasion of Dussehra, people burn the huge effigies of Ravana, his son Meghnath and his brother Kumbhkarna by placing crackers and other fireworks inside these effigies.
- Moreover several plays are organized portraying the final battle moments of Lord Shri Rama, his wife Sita and devoted brother Lakshmana.
- At the festive time of Dussehra, big fairs known as 'Ramlila' are also organized. In fact, it is said that the popular fairs are some of the main attractions of Dussehra.
- Legends also suggest that on Dussehra, Goddess Durga killed 'Mahishasura', the buffalo demon king. In West Bengal, Goddess Durga idols are immersed in sacred water body. It is one of the main traditions of this festival.
- On the other hand, in the southern states of the country, mainly in Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, Dussehra or 'Vijayadashmi' holds special importance. On this day, a tradition called Vidyarambam, which means beginning of study, is performed by the people. Moreover, people perform Saraswati puja on this particular day.
- It can be said that Dussehra actually means the culmination of Navratri's nine day celebrations. In other words, the nine day celebrations of Navratri are preceded by Dussehra.
- The mood and spirit of the celebrations of Dussehra is same throughout the country. The main motive behind this celebration is to spread the message of peace and cheer all around. It is commonly said that when the huge effigies of Ravana is killed, people generally burn the evils within themselves.
- People consider this day as a very sacred day to begin a new venture such as pursuing education and learning some art forms. It is a common belief that if we start anything on this day it will surely be a success.
- जैसे रामजी ने जीता लंका को,
वैसे आप भी जीते सारी दुनिआ को
इस दशहरा मिल जाए आपको
दुनिआ भर की सारी खुशियाँ
- रावण का सर्वनाश हो
श्री राम का हर ह्रदय में वास हो
शुभ दशहरा !
- आप सभी को रामनवमी एवं दशहरा के पावन पर्व की हार्दिक शुभकामनाएँ!
- सुख, शान्ति एवम समृध्दि की
मंगलमयी कामनाओं के साथ
महानवमी और विजयदशमी की हार्दिक शुभकामनाएं !!
- विजयदशमी की सभी को शुभकामनाएं 2019
- दशहरे की आपके पूरे परिवार को बहुत-बहुत शुभकामनाएं एवं बधाई।
- आप भी हर पथ पर विजयी हों, यही भगवान से हमारी मंगल कामना है।
दशहरे की शुभकामनाय!
- श्रीराम जी करे आपके घर सुख की बरसात ।
विजयादशमी की हार्दिक शुभकामनायेँ।
- रावण पर श्रीराम की जीत.. के प्रतीक पावन पर्व, विजयादशमी की हार्दिक शुभकामनायेँ।
- सदा सुखी रहे आपका बसेरा..
मुबारक हो आपको यह शुभ दशहरा !!