Find out more about the interesting things behind the year’s most romantic holiday with these fascinating Valentine’s Day facts.
Valentine’s day is all about love. Love that you share with that ‘Someone Special’. Cuddly love with your Mom’s, siblings. Love that rises from respect towards your teachers and mentors. Love that you shower on your pets. Love, Love and lots of love.
There are a Trillions of reasons to celebrate love.But one wonders, why just one day to celebrate LOVE. Well, let’s dig out some facts about love.
- The most trusted origination theory of Valentine’s Day lies in the fact that Emperor Claudius II didn’t wanted Roman men to marry during wartime. But, Bishop Valentine didnt agreed with this idea and went against his wishes and performed secret weddings. Valentine was executed for this. During his jail tenure , he wrote a message to the jailor’s daugter signed “from your Valentine”.
- The famous ritual of sending cards, flowers, chocolates and other gifts originated in the UK. In Norfolk, a folklore suggests a mystical person named ‘Jack’ Valentine knocked on the rear door of houses and left treats for children.
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are flip-flopped every year. No wonder, it’s the second largest seasonal card exchanging time of the year.
- As per the retail figures, about 3 % of pets receive Valentine’s Day gifts from their masters.
- Got bored celebrating Valentine’s day in your neighborhood, just take a trip to Finland where Valentine’s Day is called Ystävänpäivä, meaning “Friend’s day”. It’s about remembering your buddies.
- In medieval times X symbol was believed to be synonymous of kiss. People who were unlettered signed in front of a witness with an X, which was then kissed to exhibit their sincerity.
- A very humorous way of choosing one’s partner was followed in Middle Ages where Youngsters chose nameslips from a bowl to determine their Valentine. This slip was then pinned onto their shirt sleeves for a week . This is how the expression, ” to wear your heart on your sleeve” , originated.
- Holiday of St. Valentine’s day , Feb.14 was officially declared in 1537 by England’s King Henry VII.
- In 1800s People mourning for lost love, were commonly prescribed chocolates by their Physician to calm their nerves
- In late 1800s The first box of chocolates was composed by Richard Cadbury on Valentine’s Day.
- Men buy more flowers than women. As per statistics, 73 percent Men buy flowers on the Valentine’s Day for their beloveds.
- Close to $1billion worth of Chocolate is purchased for the V-Day, alone in U.S.
- Valentines Day is a Procrastinator’s delight. As per statistics. Over 50 percent of all Valentine’s Day cards are off shelves six days prior to the holiday.
- Red roses are contemplated as the flower of love, for the color red stands symbolic of strong romantic feelings. Also the red rose was the favored flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
- Generally , teacher’s are thought to receive most Valentine’s Day cards followed by Children, mothers, wives , sweethearts and pets.
- Every year in Verona, an Italian city, about 1000 letters addressed to Juliet are received. It’s same place where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived.
- An average of 220,000 wedding proposals take place on V-Day.
- Don’t fret even if you are single. You too have your rightful day as Singles Awareness Day. Its an alternative to Valentine’s day where single people applaud their single status and indulge in merry making.
Well!! This was the lowdown on Valentine’s Day! Someone rightly said, “There is no remedy for love but to love more.”
So, with all these facts keep enjoying your life with your loved ones. Hey!! But my single friends you too have your day, so don’t miss on the celebrations.
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!!
1,145 total views, 1 views today