From delicious side dishes and appetizers to main meals and desserts, these Thanksgiving dinner ideas will impress everyone at the table.
Thanksgiving is one of the most prominent festivals in the United States and symbolizes the start of the festive season. Thanksgiving Day is marked by parades, elaborate meals, celebrations and, of course, the scrumptious turkey. Thanksgiving is all about spending quality with friends and family. It’s the people in our lives who make such celebrations eventful and festive. Here are some ideas that would help you to plan out your Thanksgiving Day.
Preparing Roasted Turkey
An elaborate meal forms an integral part of the Thanksgiving Day celebrations. Here the most paramount task is the selection of the menu. One can choose the menu well in advance. The most basic concept that cannot be missed is the traditional meal including the roasted turkey, stuffing and potatoes among others.
Roasted Turkey Recipe:
1 (12 pound) whole turkey
Juice of a lemon
1 teaspoon salt
½ tsp pepper
Olive oil or melted butter
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
a bunch of celery
1 bunch of parsley
Some fresh rosemary, thyme
2 cups water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash the turkey (discard giblets and organs)
Slather the inside of the cavity with the juice of half a lemon. Take a tablespoon of salt and rub all over the inside of the turkey. And place in a roasting pan with a lid.
Put half an onion cut into wedges, cut parsley, carrots, and some celery tops and bottoms into the main cavity of the turkey
Cover the entrance to the main cavity with aluminum foil, or close it with metal skewers
Combine olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, ground sage, salt, and black pepper.
Using a basting brush, apply the mixture to the outside of the uncooked turkey.
Pour water into the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover.
Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours
Thanksgiving Centerpiece ideas
- A cornucopia, scented candles and bouquet of flowers are some ideas that would give an awesome look to your dinner table.
- A flower arrangement can be placed on the sideboard or the table itself.
- Thanksgiving Centerpieces need not be very stuffy or formal. Instead a simple and an elegant look will do the trick.
- The flower arrangement may not necessarily be orange or yellow. Rather, you can choose a variety of colorful flowers and elegantly arrange them into a bunch that can be placed at the center of the table.
- On the other hand, opting for flowers such as Ranunculus and Roses is an impeccable option for a conventional and classic centerpiece.
Decorations add fun to the festival. These ideas would help you decorate your home and make your Thanksgiving Day even more beautiful:
- Install a white board at the entrance with colorful paper cutting in the shape of the fall leaves. The guests can write what they are grateful for on the fall leaves.
- Prepare a lovely wreath made out of leaves and twigs and place it at your home’s entrance or at a suitable spot in your drawing room or bedroom. If you are finding it tough to prepare the wreath at home then buy one from the market.
Some Kids Activities
There are many activities that children can indulge in on Thanksgiving Day. First of all, they should be included in the preparations such as decorating their own table.
- Several art and craft activities can be planned for kids to keep them occupied.
- They can make paper hats, place cards, turkey wall hangings among others.
- Some fun-filled and exciting activities that can be enjoyed by both children and adults include a game of tag football between the kids and the adults or just a little morning turkey trot along with the other family members.
- Kids’ table should ideally be made separate. After all it will give the younger members of the family to bond over and make memories for life at the same time when the adult can have a peaceful time at the festival.
Some Traditional Thanksgiving Pursuits
- Many traditions are associated with this holiday. Hence, it’s the best time for kids as well as the adults to enjoy this time to the fullest.
- All the family members can gather around television and enjoy a football match.
- Alternatively, the hosts can even organize a little backyard football game for the family and friends.
- One can even watch Thanksgiving Day Parade or maybe even attend one if time permits.
- Apart from these ideas there are several other options that a person can choose from, all one needs to do would be go out and explore at the times of such festivities.
- Since Thanksgiving Day is a holiday and many people would be involved in the festivities, you would find most of the roads empty, except the ones where a parade has been organized.
- So, make the most of the empty roads and go out on a long drive. Roll down your window and let in the fresh Autumn air.
- Hiking is real fun at this time of the year. Pack you bags and head to the Appalachian mountains where you can test your hiking skills.
- You can also go fishing on Thanksgiving Day. You can either take a solo trip or opt for one organized by a company.
Watch a Movie
Thanksgiving Day is a great time to spend time with your family. So, buy tickets for a movie that has released that week at a theater near your home and watch the movie along with your family or friends.
Indulge in Some Charity
- You can take some time out and try to help someone who is in desperate need.
- Collect some old clothes, toys, and other items and gift it to those who are in need of it.
- Contact a voluntary organization and donate blood or you can also donate food.
- Though this is a small act but will go a long way in making someone’s festival pleasant.