Happy Onam 2019: 8 Best Onam Recipes
Try these easy onam recipes – a veritable spread of delicious recipes from Kerala, is one of the easy recipes for Onam Sadya.
Onam is the harvest festival of Kerala and one of the most famous events celebrated by Malayalis all around the world. It is observed on the Malayalam month of Chingam.
A special highlight of this festival is the grand feast or Onam Sadhya with which the Malayalis celebrate this special occasion.
What is Onam Sadhya?
Onam Sadhya is a special meal that comprises rice and 11 to 13 dishes which are strictly vegetarian. However, non-vegetarian recipes are sometimes included. Onam Sadhya is also known as Onam Sadya or Onasadhya (or Onasadya).
According to Malayalam tradition, Onasadya meal primarily includes rice, curries, upperies, pappadums, and sweet dishes like payasams. In addition, there are kichadi, pickles, chutneys, and fruits as well.
Below, you will find the methods of preparing Onam Sadhya recipes which you can relish during this festive occasion.
1/4 cup curd
4 whole red chillies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
5 curry leaves
1 tsp green chillies
2 tsp coconut paste with spices and mustard oil
1/2 tsp ginger chopped
1 cup diced pineapple
1. Heat oil in a pan and add some mustard.
2. Add some green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and ginger.
3. Mix pineapple and coconut paste in it.
4. Cook for 5 -7 minutes.
5. Add curd.
6. Mix all well and serve.
Rasam is a thin soup made with tamarind, tomatoes and other spices like pepper, cumin and mustard.
Tamarind- 1 tablespoon
1cup warm water, for soaking tamarind
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 10 leaves
1 chopped Tomato
Green Chilly – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida powder – 1/2 tsp
Few Coriander leaves
For Rasam Powder
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp black pepper
8 garlic chopped
1. Grind all the items under rasam powder ingredients.
2. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 30minutes to extract the tamarind juice.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add the rasam masala, crushed green chilly and chopped tomato.
5. Cook it for few of minutes until the tomatoes become soft and juicy.
6. Add tamarind juice, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, finely chopped coriander leaves and about 3 cups of water.
7. Let the rasam come to gentle boil.
8. Transfer to a serving dish.
Thenga Choru (Coconut Rice)
50 ml oil
500 gm cooked rice
10 gm urad dal
50 gm cashew nuts
5 gm curry leaves
some mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
few chopped green chillies,
100 gm grated coconut
100 ml coconut milk
Some chopped coriander leaves,
1tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
2. Add the cumin seeds.
3. Add urad dal and when golden in color
4. Add the cashew nuts and saute till golden.
5. Add all the ingredients stir on a high flame for 2 – 3 minutes.
6. Now Mix in the rice and stir for another 5 minutes on a slow flame.
Lady’s Finger Khichadi:
This is one of the most popular Onam recipes that are a delight to the taste buds.
300 gm lady’s finger
2-3 green chilies
1 cup grated coconut
1 dry red chilly
1 cup thick curd
1 teaspoon mustard
3-4 curry leaves
1. Cut the lady’s finger and make circular pieces out of it.
2. Fry the pieces in oil and remove once they turn crisp.
3. Form a paste by grinding green chilies and grated coconut.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard in it.
5. Add curry leaves and red chilly once the mustard crackles.
6. Add the curd into the oil and mustard.
7. Reduce the flame and add the coconut paste into the oil.
8. Stir the mixture for 2 minutes.
9. Fry lady’s finger and add it to the mixture.
10. Add salt into the above mixture.
11. Once the mixture boils, remove it from the flame, as it is ready to be served.
This is one of the exciting Kerala Onam recipes that are savored with Lady’s Finger Kichadi.
80 gm yam
25 gm snake gourd
25 gm tapioca
25 gm pumpkin
40 gm cucumber
1 grated coconut
25 gm green gram
3-4 green chilies
5 gm cumin seeds
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
5 or 6 curry leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds (crushed)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Cut the vegetables to form multiple square shaped pieces.
2. Add pepper powder and green ham to the vegetables.
3. Add salt and turmeric powder, and boil the vegetables.
4. Grind green chilies, cumin seeds, and grated coconut.
5. Put the coconut, cumin seeds, green chilies and boiled vegetables in a pan, and sauté them.
6. Cook the above mixture for 2 minutes.
7. Add crushed mustard seeds to the boiled vegetables.
8. Add coconut oil and curry leaves to the vegetables.
Your Kootu Curry is now ready to be served.
This is among those Kerala Onam recipes which will add flavor to your feast during this festive occasion.
50 gm ginger
2 dried red chilies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 green chilies
50 gm grated jaggery
2-3 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
1 pinch fenugreek powder
500 ml water
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
1. Clean and peel ginger and green chilies.
2. Chop ginger and green chilies into fine pieces.
3. Fry the ginger and chilies in oil.
4. Remove them from fire.
5. Use 500 ml water to soak the tamarind, and pour the water into the mixture of ginger and green chilies.
6. Pour oil in a pan and add dried red chilies in addition to mustard seeds.
7. Add the ginger, green chilies and tamarind mixture into the pan.
8. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, and jaggery to the tamarind mixture.
9. Spread asafoetida powder and salt over the mixture.
10 Cook the recipe until it forms a thick mixture.
11. Add fenugreek powder to the mixture and stop heating it.
The Pullinji is now ready to be relished by you and your dear ones.
Which Onam Recipes Can You Have for Dessert?
Onam Sadhya recipes which serve as delightful treats for dessert are given below.
Dry Fruit Kesari:
This is one of best sweet delicacies included in Kerala Onam recipes.
1. 1/2 cup dry fruits (chopped dates, raisins, cranberries, and other nuts)
2. 3 tablespoon sugar
3. 1 pinch cardamom powder
4. 1/2 cup rava
5. 2 teaspoon ghee
6. 6 almonds
7. 3-4 drops food color (orange, yellow, etc.)
8. 1 cup water
1. Fry some rava first. 2. Stir the rava with 1 teaspoon ghee, on low heat.
3. Heat the rava until you get the smell of raw grain.
4. Keep the heated rava separately so that you can use it later on.
5. Sauté the dry fruits for few seconds. Use 1 teaspoon ghee for this purpose, and apply low heat.
6. Add sugar, cardamom powder, and water to the dry fruits.
7. Add food color to the mixture of dry fruits, sugar, water, and cardamom powder.
8. Increase the heat once you add food color to the mixture.
9. Boil water and add the fried rava into it.
10. Mix the rava and water such that there is no lump.
11. Reduce the heat and stir the mixture until. This is when your Onam recipe is cooked completely.
12. Apply grease on a plate.
13. Pour dry fruit kesari into the plate, and cool it.
14. Cut the kesari into small pieces.
15. Garnish the kesari with almond and add to its flavor.
This is one of the Onam recipes that can be served for dessert.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
2. 15-20 raisins
3. 1 cup brown broken rice
4. 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
5. 1 cup jaggery
1. Cook the rice first.
2. Add milk into the rice and boil the mixture.
3. Continue boiling until the mixture reduces to half its volume.
4. Add powdered jaggery and stir the mixture.
5. Let the mixture boil until the payasam turns thick.
6. Spread raisins and cardamom powder into the payasam.
7. Stir the mixture until it’s completely cooked.
How are Onam Recipes Served?
Onam recipes are served on plantain leaves in a specific order. On the extreme left of the leaf, pappadum is placed. A banana is placed on top of the pappadum. Food items like banana wafers and sarkarapuratti fries are placed one after another, on the right side of the leaf. This is followed by ginger lime and mango pickles. Then you should place items like vellarika and pavakka.
Next, you should keep recipes like beetroot, and ullikitchadi on the plaintain leaf. This is followed by the kichadi, thoran made of beans, and a semi-dry mixture of vegetables. Next, you should place the kootu curry and other Onam recipes you’ve prepared.
You should serve the rice when the guests take their seats for the meal. Then you should serve parippu and ghee which is followed by sambhar and dessert items.
What’s exciting about Onam Sadhya is that it does not merely include a number of recipes but they need to be arranged in a specific order. The recipes placed on the plantain leaf create a colorful arrangement which makes the food tempting for one and all. So, celebrate Onam with a grand feast and have an enjoyable experience with your near and dear ones.