Here are some interesting Chinese New Year Facts that you probably didn’t know about Chinese New Year.
1. Chinese New Year is also known as the Spring Festival, You can also call it the Lunar New Year, because countries such as North and South Korea and Vietnam celebrate it as well.
2. The Spring Festival was originally a ceremonial day to pray to gods for a good planting and harvest season.
3. The Spring Festival is technically 15 days. But celebrations start on New Year’s Eve .So the holiday season starts in December with the Laba Festival That’s around 40 days of celebrations!
4. The most important part of Chinese New Year is the family reunion. The migration back home and to go on vacation is called chunyun or Spring Migration.
5. Showering isn’t allowed New Year’s Day. Sweeping and throwing out garbage isn’t allowed before the 5th.
6. Other things banned during Chinese New Year?
- Hair cutting (before February 2)
- Using scissors, knives and other sharp things
- Arguing, swearing
- Saying unlucky words (such as “death” and “sickness”)
- Breaking things.
- Chinese children receive red packets or pockets, they include money.
7. Chinese people love drinking. There’s wine specifically for the Spring Festival.
8. The Chinese decorate everything red for Chinese New Year.
9. The New Year greeting in Chinese is “xin nian kuai le”.
663 total views, 1 views today