Use food coloring to dye silk flowers. Dyeing silk flowers is often as simple as soaking them in a gentle coloring solution for a few minutes.
One of the greatest challenge for people learning the craft of making silk flowers is- how to dye silk flowers to make it look lifelike. The main problem is that the method used to dye fabric can not be used on flowers mainly because silk flowers cannot be boiled in dye solutions.
Not all kinds of dyes can be used on silk flowers. One must use PRO WashFast Acid Dyes and rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol for best dying results.
If you are plagued by the question on how to dye silk flowers correctly, then here are some easy steps for you:
- Firstly a stock solution must be prepared by mixing 20.5 gm of dye in 5 to 10 ml of water. Then add 125 ml of water to the solution to make it dilute. Finally add 250 ml of alcohol to the dye.
- It is advisable to make the dye solution light colored so that the desired color can achieved in subsequent dips. But if the dye is dark then you cannot make it lighter later, even if you want.
- You can also color the silk flowers with the help of a paint brush dipped in the dye solution.
There are several magazines and instruction booklets available in the market nowadays that gives easy steps on how to dye silk flowers. It is also important to follow some safety tips while dying silk flowers. They are as follows:
- It is preferable to wear glasses and rubber gloves while dying silk flowers. This will protect the eyes and hands from any injury.
- Most of the dyes used to color silk flowers are non-toxic in nature. But due to the alcohol content in the dye, continuous inhalation of the dye might prove injurious. That’s why it is advisable to dye silk flowers in a well ventilated room.
1,873 total views, 5 views today