Fascinating facts about the tenth Sikh guru – Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
1. He was only nine when he became the Tenth Sikh Guru
2. As a child, Guru Gobind Singh learned many languages including Sanskrit, Urdu, Hindi, Braj, Gurmukhi and Persian. He also learned martial arts too
3. He founded the Paonta Sahib Gurudwara and preached about the Sikh principles. Paonta Sahib remains an important pilgrim site for Sikhs.
4. At the age of 19, Guru Gobind Singh fought the Battle of Bhangani against an allied force of Bhim Chand, Garwal king Fateh Khan and other local kings of the Sivalik Hills. The Guru came out victorious.
5. Guru Gobind SIngh founded the Khalsa Vani – “Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh”. He named all his followers with the title Singh, meaning lion. He also founded the principles of Khalsa or the Five ‘K’s.
6. After repeated conflicts with Garwali and Mughal leaders, Guru Gobind Singh wrote a letter to Aurangzeb in Persian, which was later famously named as Zafarnama or the Epistle of Victory, reminding him of the misdeed the Mughals had done to the Sikhs. He fought against the Mughals later in battle of Muktsar in 1705.
7. He was the founder of Sikh warrior community called Khalsa in 1699.
8. His compositions and poetry were unmatched.
When he was just 19 years
He composed ‘Jaap Sahib’
9. He wasalso known as ‘SARVANSH DANI’because of his sacrifice of his family and his life for fighting against wrongdoings
10. Guru Gobind Singh named Guru Granth Sahib, the religious text of the Khalsas and the Sikhs, as the next Guru of the two communities. He left his bodily form and on October 7 in 1708.
7,922 total views, 3 views today