Mother’s day is an apt occasion to express your love to your mom in the most profound way. Make this auspicious day even more special by giving her any of these homemade gifts made by you that she will cherish forever.
Handmade Scrap Book
Using a simple “Japanese binding technique”, we create a beautiful journal /scrap book which makes a captivating gift for mom. She will cherish this journal and all the memories stored in it as well as the fact that her kids are the one who have made it for her with love. What more! The finished book will become a real envy for everyone else and your pride.
- Colorful Blank Paper sheets (30-40 sheets, 6″X8″)
- Card-board (2 sheets, cut into 6″X8″ size)
- Decorative paper (different for inside and outside of covers)
- Satin Ribbon – (1/4″ wide and 36” in length)
- Pair of scissors
- Paper clips
- Place the colorful sheets of paper in a stack and mark punch holes in them.
- Take one of the already cut cardboard sheet and with the help of a ruler and a pencil, draw a 2.5 cm vertical line from the left side.
- Repeat this procedure for the other cardboard sheet as well.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut along these vertical lines.
- Take the decorative paper and cut it with a margin of 1 ½”X 1 ½” more than the colorful paper sheets. Now, you have 2 decorative paper sheets of each style (4 sheets in all) cut in the measurement of 7 ½” by 9 ½”.
- Now on one of the decorative paper (that you intend to use on the outside of the album) placed face-down, draw a margin of ¾” all edges of the paper using pencil and ruler.
- Apply the adhesive on the cardboard thoroughly and paste the decorative paper to it, taking care that the cardboard fits into the pencil border that we drew in the previous step.
- This is the back cover of your journal/scrap book and the gap will be the easy to open joint of the book.
- Repeat the previous step for the front cover, making sure that your decorative paper is stuck in the right coordination.
- Fold the corners and secure them with the adhesive.
- Repeat the same step for the other cover as well.
- For the inside of the cardboard covers, cut two sheets of paper ½” smaller than the colorful paper sheets i.e. 5 ½”X 7 ½” and paste the paper on the inside covers hiding any of the cardboard visible from underneath.
- Using a colorful paper sheet, mark holes to be punched on the cardboard. Now punch them using a hole punch.
- Stack the book together by keeping one cardboard face-down, paper sheets on top of it and then the other cardboard. Move the ribbon through the punch holes making a cross stitch pattern and secure the book together.
Your elegant handmade journal is ready to be gifted to your equally amazing Mom.
Homemade Tote Bag
An elegant tote bag made exquisitely for your mom is actually the best gift for her. She can flaunt it in style when going to shopping or any other place carrying it on her shoulders.
- Sewing Machine
- Women silhouette stencil
- Black fabric paint
- Paint brush
- Fabric glue
- Hem the edges of the burlap with the help of sewing machine and wash it in cold water and tumble dry. This will wrinkle the burlap and shrink it to the max. Now, steam iron the cloth.
- Cut the burlap in the desired size of a tote.
- On the front face of the tote, make a women silhouette using the stencil.
- Paint this silhouette using black paint and brushes.
- Let the paint dry for an hour or more.
- Cover the burlap with a cotton cloth and iron the silhouette at warm heat. This will make the paint stay forever.
- Now, dress up the silhouette by sticking sequins on the neckline (where necklaces are worn) like a necklace. One sequin for an ears stud and three more at the hair pin up.
- Stitch the burlap in a tote bag.
Lavender Soap Recipe
These lavender extract soaps are sure to make mommy dear gushing more and spending a little extra time in bath rituals for the pleasure that these lavender soaps offer.
- Ready to use soap base.
- Lavender essential oil
- Dried Lavender Buds
- Muffin tin or moulds for soaps. (as desired)
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Glass bowl
- Decorative paper (for packaging)
- Melt the soap base as per the instructions on the box.
- Stir in the lavender oil and ground lavender buds.
- Pour the mixture in the muffin tin/ moulds
- Sprinkle lavender buds on top of the soap. Press them gently so that they stick to the soap well.
- Gently, remove the soap from the mould.
- Cut these soap in desired shapes and sizes using a sharp knife and cutting board.
- Pack these soaps in decorative paper and secure with satin ribbon with a message card stuck in between.
Your mom will be elated to receive such a gift from her darling kids.