- Diwali is the festival of lights. It is also known as’ Deepawali’. the festival is celebrated by lighting diyas and candles to drive away the darkness of Amavasya Homes are decorated on the day of diwali and sweets are distributed. Laxmi Puja is performed in the evening and blessings of Goddess of Wealth is seeked. People present diwali gifts to their near and dear ones.
- However, along with the fun, Diwali also brings pollution caused by crackers, which fills the air with sulphur dioxide & carbon monoxide among others. This air also seeps into our houses, affecting our health. The toxic substances used in the firecrackers release toxic gases that are harmful to the health of all living beings. The noise of the crackers cause immense suffering to birds and animals.
- Diwali is the festival of lights and not burning of the limitless crackers which takes the form of air and noise pollution. We should minimize the use of firecrackers during diwali celebrations and other celebrations. A festival must be treated like a festival not like enjoyment or nuisance. There is no need to pollute the environment for this. We must take steps to make ourselves and others aware to put an end to noise through rallies and hoardings.
- Many firecracker factories engage children as labors. By putting a stop to usage of firecrackers, it would help to reduce child labour.
- Firecrackers do not come cheap, and hence a wastage of money.
- Sick people are worst affected by noise of crackers.
- A sensible approach would be to avoid crackers. Diwali without crackers’, is often referred to as ‘eco-friendly diwali’. But can Diwali be fun without crackers? Here are various ways to celebrate Diwali without polluting the air.
Light it up with eco-friendly Diyas:
The markets are filled with different types of Diyas from fancy designer ones to the simple clay diyas. Buy smoke-free diyas and candles from the market or make your own eco-friendly ones at home.
Throw a House Party
Parties and Celebration go hand in hand, and there isn’t a better occasion than Diwali to meet your near and dear ones, especially the ones you haven’t seen for a while. This Diwali, invite your friends over, catch up with old buddies
What is better than a box of Home made sweets? Ditch the market sweets and surprise your family by making a yummy dessert for them on your own. Diwali is incomplete without sweets and nothing can be better than a bowl of rasmalai, jalebi, gulab jamun or kheer made for your loved ones.
Decorate your home
Diwali is all about celebration and decorations. light it up, your house, decorate doors and windows with flowers, or make a beautiful Rangoli at your entrance There are plenty of ways to decorate your house this Diwali and give it the festive touch.
Use the money spent on crackers for a noble cause:
People spend thousands of money on crackers.You can buy new clothes and gifts for underprivileged kids and bring a smile on their faces. You can also donate the money in NGOs.
Now that you know these cool tips you can easily make your celebrations healthier and merrier! Ditch the crackers and take a step towards a better health and better future. Happy Diwali!
Reasons to celebrate Diwali without firecrackers:
1. Fire crackers causes air pollution. They release harmful gases, smokes, and other chemicals in the environment
2. Many firecracker factories engage children as labors. By putting a stop to usage of firecrackers, it would help to reduce child labour.
3. Firecrackers should be handled with care. There are safety risks involved with firecrackers.
4. Firecrackers do not come cheap, and hence a wastage of money.
5. Sick people are worst affected by noise of crackers. Animals too are disturbed by the loud noise of firecrackers.