Lakshmi puja is one of the important rituals performed during Diwali. Puja is performed to invite Goddess Lakshmi. Prayers are offered to the Goddess, so that the New Year (Hindu New Year) is filled with peace, wealth and prosperity.
The grand festival of ‘Deepawali’ is formed with two words, row (avali) of clay lamps (deepa) that Indians light outside their homesto celebrate Diwali. It is celebrated by not just one community but by Hindus, Jains, and Sikhs as well.
Dhanteras kicks off the fifth day festival which occurs a day before the Deepavali. Houses and business premises are cleaned, renovated and decorated. Entrances are decorated with Rangoli – creative colorful floor designs both inside and in the walkways of their homes or offices. This day marks the birthday of Lakshmi – the Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity, and the birthday of Dhanvantari – the Goddess of Health and Healing. On the night of Dhanteras, diyas (lamps) are ritually kept burning all through the nights in honor of Lakshmi and Dhanvantari.
Ya Sa Padmasanastha Vipul-Kati-Tati Padma-Patrayatakshi,
Gambhirartav-Nabhih Stana-Bhara-Namita Shubhra-Vasttariya
Ya Lakshmirdivya-Roopairmani-Gana-Khachitaih Svapita Hema-Kumbhaih,
Sa Nityam Padma-Hasta Mam Vasatu Grihe Sarva-Maangalya-Yukta
- New Murti of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi
- Wooden stool for keeping Murti
- Five big earthen Deepak
- Small earthen Deepak
- One fresh earthen Kalash
- Flowers and at least three garlands made of fresh flowers
- Bahi-Khata (Account Books)
- One red silk cloth for Goddess Lakshmi, One yellow cloth and Inkpot with pen
- One red cloth for God’s Aasan
- Bilva-leaves and Tulsi-leaves
- Naivedhya – sweets, fruits, sugarcane, Lava
- Sweet Paan
- One pen made of pomegranate or Bilva branch
- Pancha Pallav – twigs of following five trees
To perform the pooja you can install idols of all the Deities. And in following steps you can go through the pooja marking your devotion towards the all-powerful.
- Clean your house properly.
- Set up the platform. Spread a red cloth on a raised platform and keep a handful of grains in the center.
- Place the kalash on the platform and fill it with water and put one supari, a marigold flower, a coin and some rice grains also tie 5 mango leaves to a thread and tie it around the neck of the kalash.
- On a small Puja thali placed on the kalash placed on small flat mountain of rice grains draw a lotus with haldi over it and place the idol of Goddess Lakshmi on it.
- Place Lord Ganesha’s idol on the right side of the kalash, and apply a tilak of haldi and kumkum on it.
- place stationary items like books and pen and things related to your business or wealth which you consider to be a source of your income besides the complete arrangement.
- Light a ghee diya and place it in a thali along with other important ingredients like haldi, kumkum and rice grains. You can also additionally use sandalwood paste, saffron paste, abeer and gulal if you are feeling too religious.
- You are now set for the puja which you start by applying tilak to the kalash and offering flowers to it.
- Recite the Diwali puja mantra of goddess Lakshmi which you can read from those easily available booklets in the market which contain the mantras and shlokas for various pujas
- Offer more flowers and rice grains to the Goddess after the prayer.
- Now pick and place the idol of Lakshmi in a different thali in which you will bathe it with water and then by panchamrit which constitutes of luke warm milk, preferably home made yoghurt, ghee, honey and sugar in appropriate quantities. Flow some water again on the idol and then wipe the idol with a clean cloth and place it back on the kalash.
- Apply haldi and kumkum along with rice to the idol and garland it with a garland of cotton beads. offer some Betel leaves.
- Place a coconut and a supari on a supari leaf and and apply haldi, kumkum and rice on it. Place some diwali sweets, fruits and money or gold ornaments in front of it which are is an offering to the Goddess.
- Worship the idol by performing the lakshmi puja aarti.
Maa Lakshmi Aarti
Jai lakshmi maataa, Maiyaa jaya lakshmi maataa
Tumako nishadina dhyaavata, Hara vishnu vidhaataa
Brahmaanii, rudraanii, kamalaa, Tuuhii hai jaga maataa
Suurya chandramaa dhyaavata, Naarada rishi gaataa
Durgaa ruupa nirantara, sukha sampati daataa
Jo koi tumako dhyaavata, riddhi siddhi dhana paataa
Tuuhii hai paataala basantii, Tuuhii shubha daataa
Karma prabhaava prakaashaka, Jaganidhi ke traataa
Jisa ghara mein tuma rahatii, saba sadaguna aataa
Kara sake koii kara le, mana nahin ghabaraataa
Tuma bina yagya na hove, Vastra na koii paataa
Khaana paana kaa vaibhava, Saba tumase hii aataa
Shubha guna mandira sundara, Kshirodadhi jaataa
Ratana chaturdasha tuma hii, Koii nahiin paataa
Aartii lakshmii jii kii, Jo koii nara gaataa
Ura aananda umanga ati, Paapa utara jaataa
Shree Ganesh Aarti
Jai Ganesha Jai Ganesha Jai Ganesha Deva
Maata Jaaki Parvati Pitaa Mahadeva
Ladoowan Ka Bhog Lage Sant Karen Sevaa
Jai Ganesh Deva
Eka Dant Dayavant Chaar Bhujadhari
Maathe Par Tilak Sohe Muse Ki Sawaari
Paan Chadhe Phool Chadhe Aur Chadhe Mevaa
Jai Ganesh Deva
Andhe Ko Aankh Det Kohin Ko Kaaya
Banjhan Ko Putra Det Nirdhan Ko Maaya
Surya Shama Sharan Aaye Safal Kijye Sevaa
Jai Ganesh Deva