As India celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi, Get to know some unknown facts about Lord Ganesha and Ganesh Chaturthi worship.
1. In India, Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated with great pomp and show in Maharashtra,( The Ganesh festival is celebrated there for ten days) Karnataka and parts of 1.Andhra Pradesh.Outside India, it’s widely celebrated in Nepal’s Terai region, and by Hindus in UK, US and Mauritius etc.
2. In 1893, revolutionary freedom fighter Lokmanya Tilak urged the masses to come together to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi.
His main motive was to inculcate the feeling of patriotism among people at a time when British discouraged social gatherings.
3. Lord Ganesha is considered as the god of intelligence, good luck, and wisdom and remover of obstacles. Any festive occasion or new beginning starts with offering prayers to Lord Ganesha.
4. Swastika symbol, modak and red flowers are very dear to him.
5. The favourite colours of Lord Ganesha are green and yellow
6. Since Ganesha is the son of Goddess Parvati (Gauri) Gauri Puja became an integral part of Ganesh Chaturthi
7. Ganesha has 108 names but Ganesha and Ganpati are more common.
8. Ganesha Chaturthi is also the day when Lord Shiva declared Ganesha to be above all Hindu Gods, excluding Vishnu Lakshmi, Shiva and Parvati.
9. Though many believe Ganesha to be a bachelor, there are numerous instances where Ganesha is represented with two wives-Ridhi and Sidhi. While Ridhi stands for wealth and prosperity, Sidhi symbolises intellect and wisdom. It is believed that anyone who worships Lord Ganesha also invokes the blessings of his wives.
10. The longest immersion procession is that of Mumbai’s Lalbaugcha Raja, which starts at around 10 am and ends the next morning, taking nearly 24 hours.
Check out some best Ganesh Chaturthi wishes and messages.