Shivratri Puja has immense religious significance in the Hindu fraternity among the Lord Shiva devotees. Various rituals of Shivratri puja are followed to please the Lord. It is believed that if the Lord Shiva is pleased on the puja of Shivratri, then one can get rid of past sins and can attain salvation or Moksha.
Essentials of Shivratri Puja :
According to the ancient puranas, worshipping Lord Shiva sincerely augments spiritual growth of the devotees. The essentials of Shivratri Puja comprise of worshipping the Shiva Linga with varied elements like:
The Hindu mythology states that the different worshipping elements of the Shivratri Puja have different importance:
- Milk considered to be a sign for purity and goodness.
- Yogurt stands for prosperity and children.
- Honey is considered to be symbolizing sweet speech.
- Ghee stands for victory.
- Sugar is happiness.
- Water connotes purity.
Married as well as unmarried women perform the rituals of Shivratri Puja. Married women pray to the Lord for betterment and well being of their husbands while unmarried women desire for an ideal husband like Shiva.
Rituals of Shivratri Puja :
Puja on Shivratri :
- The various rituals of Shivratri Puja comprise of waking up early in the morning and taking a bath in holy waters. Then, prayers are offered to the Sun God, Vishnu and Shiva to attain purity.
- Wearing new clothes, devotees make it a point to visit the nearest Shiva temple and devotees stay on a fast the entire day, with not even a drop of water.
- After all the rituals of Shivratri Puja being followed ardently, the actual puja process is carried on. There are priests who perform the puja of Shiva Linga and that too every three hours, the entire day.
- The process of Shivratri puja consists of chanting the Shiv Chalisa verses with utmost dedication with sounds of bells reverberating in the temple.
- Then the Shiv Linga is bathed with the help of milk, yoghurt, honey, ghee, sugar and water.
- The Shivratri puja is considered to be one of the most auspicious occasions for the Hindus. This puja is of utmost importance especially to the women fraternity and they all eagerly wait for this occasion year long.
- This is a great chance for all the Lord Shiva devotees to show their dedication, commitment and sincerity through prayers to Lord Shiva.