In execution of predicament, Jesus drove down the lanes of Jerusalem on the back of a donkey, and the crowds shouted and greeted Him singing praises "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord." The people to deliver warmth, placed palm branches and their garments on the path through which Jesus treaded. This did not deliver a good impact among the religious leaders, those who had been jealous of Jesus for a long time. Their demand was that Jesus should pacify the crowd and stop them from shouting. He reverted that if the crowd kept quite, then the stones would cry out rejoicing and praising him.
- Marking triumph over all, Jesus entered Jerusalem with dignity and pride. This event changed the entire course of action in Jerusalem among the Christian community.
- The start of the Holy week, they welcomed and greeted him as that of a King but by the end of the week, they were demanding his death.
- The follower ship that He had, vanished in a moment in fear. None of his followers, who were close to him, really got the events of Palm Sunday and Holy Week cleared in their minds till Jesus returned back.
- In the Christian Calendar, the Palm Sunday was the sixth and last Sunday in Lent and the Sunday preceeding the Easter. It commenced the Holy Week and is considered to be one of the most pious days in the Christian calendar.
The Palm Sunday on 2017 would fall on April 9. Important days of Holy Week comprise of:
- Palm Sunday - Jesus enters Jerusalem.
- Maundy Thursday - The Last Supper and disloyalty.
- Good Friday - The detention, trial, crucifixion, death and funeral of Jesus.
- Easter Sunday – Jesus rises from the grave.
- Eludicidating on the details of Palm Sunday to the kids is really very important and that can be taken care of by enacting Palm Sunday plays. Plays of Palm Sunday can be really entertaining and informative as it has a story to tell. If visuals and crafts of Palm Sunday are coupled up with enactment of the creative Palm Sunday plays, then the real effect is surely going to be greater. You can also take the help of others to arrange these innovative Palm Sunday plays and at the same time try to explain the concept of Palm Sunday to the kids.
Way to Enact Palm Sunday Plays
- Explain the Palm Sunday story to the children.
- Tell them the concept behind Jesus’ traveling back to Jerusalem and also that it was his last earthly visit.
- Explain how the crowd greeted Him and also how Palm leaves were scattered on his way.