Most of us these days are spending more time in the office than at home, and one of the biggest mistakes that you can make at work is not being aware of the various etiquette rules to live by…
Some may think Do manners matter at work?
There is a definite double standard when it comes to workplace manners. It’s common to see people doing things at work they wouldn’t dream of doing in a social setting.
Here, the 20 rules that you should keep in mind at all times while at work.
1.When your Boss calls and you’re in the middle of a meeting with a colleague, you answer it. It must be important – after all, it’s your BOSS!
2.Chewing gum and popping bubble gum in the presence of co-workers is neither cool nor dignified
3.Do not cough or sneeze in anyone’s direction. Use a tissue, if possible, and then say “Excuse me”
4. Don’t be too loud. Be careful of your volume, whether you are talking to a colleague or on the phone. You may be disturbing others in office.
5.. Be on time. Being punctual says a lot about your personal values.
6.Knock before entering or Do respect your colleague work space. Even if they are cubicles or open desks, show respect to the ‘owner.’
Knock on the cubicle door or otherwise announce yourself .
7.Keep your interruptions of others to a minimum and always apologise if your intrusion is an interruption of a discussion, someone’s concentration or other activity
8. Be mindful of office chatter. It is great to work in an office where you also can make friends, but keep chatter to a minimum.
9. Don’t eat smelly food. Tuna, spicy Indian food-eating smelly food can be really offensive, especially in an office with an open floor plan. Save the curry for home.
10. Hold back on the perfume. To the same point, be mindful of how much perfume that you wear at the office. Some people could be allergic.
11. Dress properly for office. Wear office clothes that fit with the tone of your office
12. Keep your phone on silent. Your ring tone can be distracting, so it’s best to keep your phone on vibrate.
13.Keep the office clean. Throw your trash out on your desk, and be mindful if you are sharing a bathroom too.
14.Don’t share too much personal information with colleagues. There are a few reasons why this isn’t so good-it can leave you vulnerable
15. Don’t take long personal calls at your desk. It is perfectly fine to take a personal call at your desk occasionally, but keep it short so you don’t disturb everyone around you.
Take the call outside on your cell phone if necessary.
16. Don’t play with your hair during a meeting. Refrain from playing with your hair, especially in meetings.
You should also refrain from brushing your hair or applying makeup at your desk.
17. Don’t come to work if you’re too sick. If you are contagious, stay home for the good of the office. Show your diligence by being available online for as much of the day as possible. That being said, if you just have the sniffles, you should probably come into work.
18 You should avoid brushing your hair or applying makeup at your desk.
19. Treat your co-workers, cleaners, maintenance people and others with respect and courtesy.
20. Show appreciation for the slightest courtesies extended to you.
you might also like:
Business Anniversary Cards