Like most other Jewish holidays the 'festival of lights' or 'Hanukkah' comes with its own special food recipes and food traditions. Fried items are the most popular Hanukkah food since it reminds the Jews of the miracle of the oil when the Maccabees sanctified and consecrated the sacred temple in Jerusalem. Potato pancakes and doughnuts are the conventional Hanukkah food items.
Dairy products are consumed during the 'festival of lights' to bring back to our mind the memories of the Jewish heroine Yehudit (Judith) who saved her village from the Syrians.
Double Deep Chocolate Hanukkah Layer Cake
This is one of the most delicious delights offered during the Hanukkah festivities. For those who have a penchant for sweets, this recipe is a must try. Ironical, as it may sound, this recipe is super simple to make as there is no pain of whisking. In fact, Double Deep Chocolate Hanukkah Layer Cake is a simple recipe based on oil which does not involve any of the complicated processes used for making other delicious sweet delicacies. The two active ingredients of this recipe are espresso powder and coconut milk (unsweetened).
- ¾ cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder ( unsweetened)
- 1 to 1 and half cup of water
- 3 eggs, warmed in lukewarm water
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 and ¾ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
For Ganache Frosting
- 24 ounces of chocolate chips ( semi-sweet)
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of espresso powder
- 1 and half cups of coconut milk, unsweetened and thoroughly stirred
Requisite equipment- parchment papers, utensil or pans for baking the cake batter
Procedure to Prepare The Cake
- Mix together coconut milk, vanilla essence, eggs and oil in bowl and blend it until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Then, in a separate container, sift together baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, flour and sugar. Mix the ingredients well until all the ingredients get blended together.
- Now slowly add the wet ingredients, prepared in the step no-1 with the powdered ingredients, prepared in step No-2 and keep mixing the mixture thoroughly.
- Now heat the oven to around 350 degree F. Oil the cake pans and place the parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.
- Now divide and pour the prepared batter on to the pans, however, remember not to fill up the batter up-till the rim.
- Put the pans in the pre-heated oven and in the same temperature bake the cakes for at least 30 minutes.
- To check if the cakes have been baked, run a knife around the corner of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, the cakes are prepared.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and allow them to cool.
Procedure to Prepare The Cake
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned above in a bowl for the preparation of the frost, i.e. chocolate chips, coconut milk, and espresso powder. Now put the bowl over a container of boiling water and keep stirring the mixture until the chocolate chips melt.
- Remove the bowl from heat and mix and whisk vanilla and corn syrup. Chill and frost the mixture while stirring it continuously until it becomes thick and easily spreadable.
Now, spread the prepared frost gently over the cakes as well as it sides using a ladle. Further decorate the cake using chocolate chips gently spread over the sides.
Butternut Squash Soup with Pumpkin Butter
This Thanksgiving classic soup is delicious and universally loved. Interestingly, the recipe of this soup is not very elaborate and painstaking, considering the popularity of this occasion. The active ingredients of this soup are precut and peeled butternut squash which are easily available in all the grocery stores, round the year. The combined flavor of butternut squash and milk / cream tastes delectable to the taste buds. This simple soup just requires three main cooking steps- roasting, blending and at last, simmering. The soup is cooked until the texture becomes buttery and smooth. The rich and buttery flavor of the soup is perfect to be savored in this rich and illustrious festival.
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, grounded
- One pinch of nutmeg, grated
- Half to one cup of milk
- 10 ounces of jar pumpkin butter
- 1-2 table spoon of Vegetable oil
- Around 1-2 pound of butternut squash, seeded and cut into halves
- 2 cups of broth of low-sodium chicken
- Pistachio nuts, chopped
- Wash and place the halves of the squash on an oven dish and pierce their sides with the help of a fork. Bake the halves in a pre-heated oven at a temperature of 375 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
- Now after 45 minutes, scrape out the flesh from the squash halves and discard the skins. Put the squash flesh into a food processor or blender and pour other ingredients like, chicken broth, marjoram, the cinnamon, nutmeg , thyme, and the puree along.
- Blend the mixture until you get a smooth and concentrated mixture.
- Now, to cook the mixture, pour it on a cooking pan. Add milk over the mixture and keep stirring it, lest there is formation of lumps.
- In case the soup becomes too thick, add a few teaspoons of chicken broth.
- Add salt and pepper over the soup, according to your taste.
- Serve the soup while it is lukewarm in soup bowls.
- You can further garnish the soup by adding chopped pistachios and top it with cubes of pumpkin butter.
For a better taste, you can substitute the milk or cream with pumpkin butter, however, this addition will surely run your soup pretty high on calories. You can also savor this soup chilled, instead of lukewarm, served in a glass than a bowl. Further you can add on to the garnish by adding crystals of brown sugar sprinkled on the soup.
Amaranth Walnut Cookies with Brandy
This one's so buttery and delectable that you just won't feel suffice with just one cookie. Amaranth walnut cookies are savored world-wide for their delectable crunchy and nutty flavor of the amaranth flour in combination with the real butter. Topped on the cookies are crushed amaranth seeds that add to the crunch of the cookies. The sparks of salt adds a new flavor which makes these cookies more delicious. As per the experts, the secret to this recipe is the tastefully and meticulously prepared dough which is properly kneaded and allowed to get fermented for one entire night.
- Around 32 walnut pieces cut in halves and well toasted
- 6 tablespoons of amaranth seeds used especially for that extra crunch
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 large egg yolk set at room temperature.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ounce of amaranth flour
- 7 tablespoons of butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup of white wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Mix two tablespoon of sugar and 4 ounces of toasted walnuts in a bowl and place the mixture on a food processor. Churn this dry mixture well, until it starts appearing like a fine and smooth sand. It might take around 15-20 seconds to reach to this consistency.
- Now mix and whisk the, amaranth flour, wheat flour and salt in a bowl and mix until each and every ingredient is properly blended.
- Now prepare the wet mixture by adding melted butter and sugar. Beat it well until it becomes fluffy.
- Now to this mixture prepared in the step.3 add egg yolk, vanilla and brandy. Beat or blend this entire mixture well for 30 seconds.
- Now, gradually put the dry mixture over the wet mixture and keep stirring it well with a long ladle, to avoid the formation of lumps. Make sure to mix the mixture well with a light hand and at a slow speed.
- Once all the ingredients have properly blended with each other, cover the mixture bowl with plastic wrap and cool it in the fridge for at least 3 hours or an entire night.
- Now, pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F, place the amaranth seeds on a dish and take the dough out of the refrigerator. Now, take some dough in the hand and make small balls measuring one inch.
- Next, gently press these balls and roll them over the dried amaranth seeds placed on a dish. Make an indentation at the center of the balls and place walnut pieces on them.
- At last, bake these cookies in the oven at the same above mentioned temperature until the cookies turn golden brown. This process will approximately take 17 to 18 minutes.
- Remove the cookies carefully from the oven and place them in a separate dish. Allow them to cool. You will notice that these cookies get crisper as they turn cold.
Serve them fresh or stock them in an air-tight container, these cookies are sure to win you many compliments from your guests and family members.
This moist and soft cake simply melts in your mouth and makes you want more! Owing to its rich and delectable honey flavor, many experts have deemed this cake perfect for the eve of Rosh Hashanah. In addition, this is just the perfect option for all occasions, parties and get-togethers. Take a spoonful of this cake and you'll simply savor the unique blended flavor of honey, clove and brewed coffee. Unlike other cake, this one's simple to bake with its simple ingredients. Top this cake with chocolate chips and flakes of salt and enjoy a unique flavor.
Ingredients For The Cake-
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 to 2 and 1/2 cups of flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pure honey
- 1 and 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup of coffee brewed or dissolved in water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of grated orange zest
Ingredients For Chocolate Glaze
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, unsweetened and well-stirred
- 4 ounces of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
Ingredients For Garnish
Flakes of sea salt
Requisite equipment – cake tester, baking spray, 10 inch long Bundt pan
- Heat the oven to the temperature of 350 degree F. Spray the baking spray over the baking pan.
- Now prepare the dried mixture by adding baking powder, flour, spices and the salt. Mix it well.
- In a separate container, prepare the wet mixture by adding eggs, oil, sugar, coffee and not to forget, honey.
- Whisk this batter well until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Now don't forget to make a well or an indentation at the center of the dry mixture and gradually add the wet mixture. Keep stirring the mixture to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Mix all the wet mixture well into the dried batter and at last, pour this batter into the baking pan. Bake this mixture well in the oven for at least 30 minutes. Test the readiness of the cake using the cake tester or simply run a knife on the edge of the cake. If the knife emerges out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and put it on a separate dish.
Procedure For Preparing Glaze
Simmer coconut milk and corn syrup together. Remove the mixture from heat and add chocolate. Keep stirring until the chocolate is mixed properly and the mixture becomes smooth. Transfer the prepared cake onto a serving plate or dish and pour this prepared chocolate glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
Just before serving, sprinkle the salt flakes on the cake and serve.
Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 Egg
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Sour cream
- Sugared Pecans
- Oil, for frying
Peel off the skin of the potato and cook briefly the potatoes in boiling water until they become slightly tender but remain firm. Chill the potatoes until cold. Mash the potatoes. Then add egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, potato flour and brown sugar. Mix until the ingredients are well blended. Coat the bottom of a non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons oil. Shape latkes into patties. Cook until the potato latkes become brown on both sides and then transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Add oil as needed to remaining batches. Before serving top the potato latkes with Sugared Pecans.
Deep Fried Baby Artichokes
- 12 baby artichokes
- 2 lemons, halved
- 3 cups olive oil
- Sea salt
Fill a big bowl halfway with water. Then, squeeze the lemon halves into the water. Trim the stem of 1 artichoke. Start trimming from the base, then bend the tough outer leaves back and pull off where they break naturally. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the dark green skin from the base. After that halve the artichoke lengthwise and scoop out any choke.
Add the artichoke to the lemon water. Repeat the same procedure with the remaining artichokes. Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Drain the artichokes. Add the artichokes to the hot oil in two batches and cook until they become tender and golden brown. Then, with a slotted spoon or tongs, place the fried artichokes to a paper towel-lined dish to drain off the excess oil. Sprinkle with salt while artichokes are still warm and serve.